Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is legal and what's illegal in the USA?

Beans

what is legal and what's illegal in the USA?

I'm wonder how can I tell what's legal and what's illegal to run in the USA. Is running Linux Mint illegal in the USA or Mepis? Which parts are illegal?
    I was reading something about you cannot play DVD at all in linux or it's illegal, is there truth behind that?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: what is legal and what's illegal in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by bone2006 View Post
    I'm wonder how can I tell what's legal and what's illegal to run in the USA. Is running Linux Mint illegal in the USA or Mepis? Which parts are illegal?
    I was reading something about you cannot play DVD at all in linux or it's illegal, is there truth behind that?
    I love being Canadian, has perks.

The legality of these things is complicated, it mostly just has to do with codecs and DVD playback and their incenses (i.e. paying fees to patent holders to have). Unless your a stickler for the law and never jaywalked or ran a red you've nothing to be concerned with (nobody is gonna track ya down). The world will zealously burn and crucify those horrible pirates IMO long before they track down those dastardly codec people, heaven forbid they should have means to play back video and audio.

If your that concerned about legality, VLC is the solution for you. It plays everything.

That's my 2 cents. There are a lot worse things happening in the world IMO than codec issues for Linux, seems people get far too caught up on the issue really.

Oh and on a related note, how many copies of Windows have you paid for in your life? I've gone through at least 10 or more, seems like I did my license paying for codecs enough...
    Last edited by starcraft.man; September 12th, 2007 at 06:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by starcraft.man View Post
    If your that concerned about legality, VLC is the solution for you. It plays everything.
    talking about moron-politics and vlc.... not only in the usa ...

Beans

I too recommend VLC media player...it works pretty smoothly. Though sometimes it lags or it won't play something...though overall it's pretty great for free ware

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post
    talking about moron-politics and vlc.... not only in the usa ...
    Oh for heaven's sake... all this stupidity about codecs. Since when did Ubuntu come with VLC though? Did I miss something? I've always installed it manually...

Anyway, I'm glad that's the French and not Canadians...

I'll be blunt. If your like most people and you've run red lights or skipped stop signs or even sped when there wasn't a cop around to catch you, I see little reason why you should be that concerned about codecs. The same "no one is gonna see you do it" applies, if your a stickler for law that's another thing. Then you'll want some paid distro of Linux. Business are of course another matter since they are subject to inspection by the software alliance, is it?
    Last edited by starcraft.man; September 12th, 2007 at 07:10 PM.

Beans

Cool Re: what is legal and what's illegal in the USA?

DVD's (the protected ones) cannot be played on Linux in the US untill we get soemthing like LinDVD in the US. You can run any version/Distro of Linux in the US, but any media associated with Windows, such as MPEG formats are illegal to run in the US. (Thank you legal system for not knowing what you rule on)

If you run Ubuntu or a branch, to stay legal, the only repo you can use without fear or question is the standard Ubuntu supported repo and some of the commercial repo's for the free ware. (aka Adobe reader for x86_32)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by KillMyBrain View Post
    I too recommend VLC media player...it works pretty smoothly. Though sometimes it lags or it won't play something...though overall it's pretty great for free ware
    vlc is my video player of choice in both ubuntu and windows
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

here's my take on it

If I can play a movie that I paid for in my DVD player without a problem, then I should be able to play it in my DVD player on my computer. If I want to make a back up copy of a DVD I should be able to. If they really did not want me to they would stop making the product or not allow the product (the DVD-ROM) to be licenced to be built into a computer.

One of the biggest idiot companies out there is Sony, they actually own a record label and also own the copyright on CD's, and they also sell computer that come standard with burners which they make as well. sony also makes their own burining software. but to cover their butts they also develope some of the cruelest DRM technology out there that acts like a virus.
    Talk about hipocrits
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

everything is illegal here - JK - or sometimes it seems like it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

A politicians job isn't to understand technology... merely enforce regulations on it. Thankfully Ted Stevens was there to save us all from the clogged tubes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast