Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeos: Canonical's virtualization-specific Ubuntu Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Jeos: Canonical's virtualization-specific Ubuntu Linux

Check this out!

http://news.com.com/8301-13580_3-9776585-39.html

It's available already, according to the article.

Cheers,

-Benton

Beans

Re: Jeos: Canonical's virtualization-specific Ubuntu Linux

Jeos (pronounced juice) is an acronym, meaning Just Enough Operating System, but maybe the wizards at Canonical aren’t up on their Google, because there’s already a Java project with that name.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1411

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It says it is available on the news release. Where is it available? Google produces only news links, ubuntuforum search leads to this thread, search on ubuntu's or canonical's site gets nothing. I do NEED this product!! Looks great!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalov View Post
    It says it is available on the news release. Where is it available? Google produces only news links, ubuntuforum search leads to this thread, search on ubuntu's or canonical's site gets nothing. I do NEED this product!! Looks great!!
    all i can find is this :
    http://open-vm-tools.wiki.sourceforge.net/Packaging

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Where can I get Jeos?

Beans

I am right in the middle of a project now trying to install a minimal Debian Etch Host OS.

Would be great to find a link to where this 'JUICE' can be downloaded!

<<< waiting for the show

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The door slowly closes

Just read this over at theregister.com -> Main Story

One thing that urks me.
    Code:
    Canonical is still in the midst of deciding whether not to make JeOS wildly available, since it's mostly meant as an ISV thang.

Whether or not to make is available? It better be available! There is no deciding about it. Either in the beta areas or "hey look! see where Ubuntu is going now" area. Some at the top better go look at the Ubuntu motto AGAIN.
    Last edited by rbalfour; September 13th, 2007 at 03:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    IBM T42: Centrino 1.6Ghz - 2GB ram - 60GB HD - Ubuntu 8.04
    Dell Poweredge 420: P4 HT 2.6Ghz - 1GB ram - 1.5TB Array - Ubuntu 6.10
    Registered Linux User No: 420249 - "That won't work!" - n00b user "Yeah it will, pass me the duct tape." - MoD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: The door slowly closes

Whether or not to make is available? It better be available! There is no deciding about it. Either in the beta areas or "hey look! see where Ubuntu is going now" area. Some at the top better go look at the Ubuntu motto AGAIN.
    I had never interpreted the Canonical commitment to say that everything they do would be free. Ubuntu desktop. server, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu seem to be a very full suite of free products. Its totally up to them whether anything else is released for no cost. I understand that Launchpad isn't free. I'd far rather see Canonical successful than commited to serving my needs for nothing and then whithering away. They are going to need a herd of cash cows sooner or later.

And what do you think "wildly available" would be if it did happen? Maybe it means released into the wild but you have to track it down and kill it if you want it.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans

Red face Re: The door slowly closes

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Aubrey View Post
    I had never interpreted the Canonical commitment to say that everything they do would be free. Ubuntu desktop. server, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu seem to be a very full suite of free products. Its totally up to them whether anything else is released for no cost. I understand that Launchpad isn't free. I'd far rather see Canonical successful than commited to serving my needs for nothing and then whithering away. They are going to need a herd of cash cows sooner or later.

And what do you think "wildly available" would be if it did happen? Maybe it means released into the wild but you have to track it down and kill it if you want it.
    I agree with Aubrey on this one. You don't see them giving away free Ubuntu T-Shirts and free Ubuntu mugs either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Threads merged.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast