Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MSN with Wine

Beans

MSN with Wine

Hi,

I'm trying to install MSN via Ubuntu and I got a "1603 error". Here are my logs :
    Code:
    ~/Desktop$ wine Install_Messenger.exe 
    fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "C:\\windows\\temp\\IXP000.TMP\\" 00000000
    fixme:wave:ALSA_AddCaptureDevice Add support for DSCapture
    fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
    fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"sarah" (nil) 0x33e8b4 (nil) 0x33e8b8 0x33e8ac - stub
    fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"sarah" 0x1bd500 0x33e8b4 0x172ab0 0x33e8b8 0x33e8ac - stub
    fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L""
    err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet ReadStyleSheet: skipping optional destination
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub MigrateFeatureStates -> 7 ignored L"Upgrade" table values
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub MigrateFeatureStates -> 7 ignored L"Upgrade" table values
    fixme:msi:ACTION_CustomAction msidbCustomActionTypeNoImpersonate not handled
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub MsiUnpublishAssemblies -> 2 ignored L"MsiAssembly" table values
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub StopServices -> 2 ignored L"ServiceControl" table values
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub RemoveRegistryValues -> 2 ignored L"RemoveRegistry" table values
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub RemoveShortcuts -> 3 ignored L"Shortcut" table values
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub DeleteServices -> 2 ignored L"ServiceControl" table values
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub RemoveFolders -> 4 ignored L"CreateFolder" table values
    fixme:msi:ITERATE_CreateShortcuts poorly handled shortcut format, advertised shortcut
    fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} not registered
    err:ole:create_server class {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} not registered
    fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} could be created for context 0x15
    fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
    This program tried to use a DOMDocument object, but
    libxml2 support was not present at compile time.
    fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no instance created for interface {2933bf81-7b36-11d2-b20e-00c04f983e60} of class {2933bf90-7b36-11d2-b20e-00c04f983e60}, hres is 0x80004001
    fixme:advapi:CheckTokenMembership ((nil) 0x16b1e8 0x33fc94) stub!
    fixme:setupapi:CMP_WaitNoPendingInstallEvents 100
    fixme:advapi:CheckTokenMembership ((nil) 0x16b1e8 0x33fa88) stub!
    fixme:setupapi:pSetupGetGlobalFlags stub
    fixme:wintrust:CryptCATAdminCalcHashFromFileHandle 0x40 0x33f320 0x33f994 0
    fixme:wintrust:WinVerifyTrust (nil) {f750e6c3-38ee-11d1-85e5-00c04fc295ee} 0x33f2e4
    fixme:crypt:CryptQueryObject 00000001 0x185998 00000004 0000000e 00000000 (nil) (nil) (nil) (nil) (nil) 0x33f9a0
    fixme:setupapi:pSetupGetGlobalFlags stub
    fixme:msxml:DllCanUnloadNow 
    err:msi:custom_get_thread_return Invalid Return Code 203
    err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"InstallFinalize" returned 1603
    err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1603
    ~/Desktop$ fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub
    PS: I know about Gaim, aMSN, and others but my sister wants "this" application and it is the last thing that could block her to use Ubuntu so, if anyone can help, thanks.

Beans

Re: MSN with Wine

This isn't necessarily helpful but I don't think MSN Messenger works with wine. The Wine HQ AppDB has it rated as "Garbage". See http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=127 for more details.

FWIW, have her give the alternatives a try. She may actually like them better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

aMSN has more or less the exakt same functions and there are skins to make it look just like the ordinary MSN

Beans

lets not forget Mercury IM, a crossplatform client with webcam-support and a lot of other features. far superior to microsofts client IMO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KhaaL View Post
    lets not forget Mercury IM, a crossplatform client with webcam-support and a lot of other features. far superior to microsofts client IMO!
    Ditto, I've used it for years before i switched to Gaim/Pidgin. However IIRC Mercury is freeware but it's not open source. So if that's a problem for you you're better of with aMSN.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mercury is good but it hogs resources due to running in Java enviro..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Ebuntor View Post
    Ditto, I've used it for years before i switched to Gaim/Pidgin. However IIRC Mercury is freeware but it's not open source. So if that's a problem for you you're better of with aMSN.
    aMSN is ugly though, Tk's fault

Pidgin does MSN just fine if you don't need video chat and it's GTK.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

KMess is my preferred Linux version of MSN, it's certainly not perfect but I prefer it over aMSN personally... so you might give that a shot also.
    Proud Kubuntu user since 6.06 "Dapper" | The Linux Conundrum | Linux User #440899
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Commissioner Pravin Lal, SMAC

Beans

The Linux world is in need of a high class IM program! AMSN is a piece or crap. Try typing Chinese in there and you'll see what I mean. Besides, it's buggy. My favorite is Pidgin but still I am frustrated with the Linux IM programs. Not to mention webcam support. Oh God!

Beans

Kopete does a nice job with web cams. And Pidgin would probably be a lot further on the develpment road if it wasn't delay due to lawsuits pending on the heads of the developers
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast