Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Do college students use Linux?

Beans

Do college students use Linux?

In this day and age, a lot of people are going to end up on one computer or another, I suppose. Rather it be a laptop or desktop, kids need to study.

Here is my question - are there a bunch of college kids running Linux, or is the general average Joe still going to be using Windows? No offense to them, of course, they are just sticking to what they know.

I was just curious about the subject - it would be neat to meet other people using Ubuntu or Mandrake, maybe Fedora, you know. I bet there are some classes I could take, too...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Do college students use Linux?

there was a post recently out about this. it seems only IT related schools are using and or supporting linux. most schools across the country are not supporting it and therefore the students are not using it.
    I AM AN EVIL CONSERVATIVE
    And I've got a lot of computers running Linux

http://www.tomcarter.us/

Beans

Eh, I kind of expected that. One thing I'm worried about is certain college's expect you to use MS, like getting onto servers and whatnot, things like encrypted .doc files... Is this true? I'd really hate having to dual boot again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm a college student Still need windows for certain college things though unfortunately.

Beans

At my college (Hampshire College in Amherst, MA), the school recommends Macs over everything else, so that's what's most prevalent here. Some people still use Windows, and I've actually met more than 5 which use Linux (this is a very small school, so that was surprising). Our IT department actually does support Linux for people that want to use it, and I hear about people wanting to try it all the time, so I think it's getting good exposure on college campuses.

Beans

At my University nearly everyone runs Mac or Windows, and people are very tech illiterate, since it's a Liberal Arts school and not an Ivy League one. I have yet to encounter a Linux user or hear anyone mention Linux. If I weren't a web designer, I would have sold my Macbook and would be running Zenwalk on my old ThinkPad...
    Need help with CSS and web development? Drop by CSS Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

The college I was going to go to only supported Windows and Mac OS X. I would have used Linux anyway. But I ended up not going there.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am a college student. I have helped to open the doors to Linux in my community college. They are about the implement their first linux server, and are going to start introducing students to linux over a two week period in a software certification class. Not only that but I am currently pushing for a full fledged linux class, and though the ground ahead is shaky, it also looks promising.

So my advice to other college students is to be vocal to the staff and faculty of your college. They are likly to listen when their students request new material.
    Last edited by JNowka; September 10th, 2007 at 05:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't know of any other linux users in my college, I've only ever seen one mac as well (but they're not very popular in this country in general anyway). But I'm not doing a computer science degree, I'm sure there are others using linux there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've still got to go to college but I'm very sure I won't be going there without Ubuntu or somesort of Linux on my laptop along with Windows.

Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast