111 73.03%
  • like totally not dude

41 26.97%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is psyched up for gimp 2.4

Beans

Re: Who is psyched up for gimp 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    I am probably the only one here who doesnt like the gimp being in 900 parts that clutter up the taskbar...
    I honestly wish it was a single window app like photoshop or even Krita
    You're not the only one. And they could even have it be separate windows but only one taskbar entry. Why they don't is beyond me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am probably the only one here who doesnt like the gimp being in 900 parts that clutter up the taskbar...
    no, you're not
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So where are the 900 parts? Here is a screenshot of gimp2.4-RC2 on my desktop, look at the taskbar, only one item. Even when selecting dialogues from the menu it still stays at one item. So that argument about cluttering up the taskbar is no good. Have you tried configuring it the way you like? Everything can be set to how you want it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paul820 View Post
    So where are the 900 parts? Here is a screenshot of gimp2.4-RC2 on my desktop, look at the taskbar, only one item. Even when selecting dialogues from the menu it still stays at one item. So that argument about cluttering up the taskbar is no good. Have you tried configuring it the way you like? Everything can be set to how you want it.
    +1

its a great interface, so useful for multiscreen proffessional users.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Who is psyched up for gimp 2.4

The only thing I have against it, as an imaging ignoramus, is that when I launched an instance of it, when it finished loading up, I sat there in my chair staring at the interface, thinking, "HUH!?"

I know I'm an idiot at image editing, I've never used Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

About the most advanced imaging editor I have any significant skill in is MSPaint, which I can fully utilize, I think. I'm not an image editor.

I mean, yeah, if I work with it a long time, I may figure it out eventually, but I tried opening an image that already existed on my machine, and I couldn't do a thing with it. I felt so dumb.

I kinda' avoided it like the plague after that.

Once I get some time on my hands, and my laptop isn't giving me the finger network-wise, I'll wrestle with it to see if it'll do what I will it to, but until then, it'll just sit there on my disk, gathering dust with the rest of my experimental software.
    Last edited by Xanderfoxx; September 10th, 2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Kind of hard to read.
    Registered Linux user : #470877
    Registered Ubuntu user: # 21928
    My Blog | MySpace Account | Google Group

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by maurin.alex@gmail.com View Post
    The only thing I have against it, as an imaging ignoramus, is that when I launched an instance of it, when it finished loading up, I sat there in my chair staring at the interface, thinking, "HUH!?"
    It took me a long time to learn photoshop too... Concepts like layers etc were completely new to me. I used to open MS Paint to do circles etc... but slowly I figured things out by playing with them... When I first opened gimp things were pretty close to natural or only slightly different. I prefer the gimp over photoshop now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    2.4 has this (if I understand what you are asking).
    I am running 2.4 rc and i don't see it. I mean the ability to change the brush size incrementally up or down using the mouse wheel or something while working on your picture. It still seems you need to go over the tool box and select a new brush, which is totally ridiculous. If i am wrong I'd love you to correct me.

The tooltip is buggy. If you hover over a tool it doesn't tell you what it is (most of the time).

Still no background eraser tool? You be able to cut out people in photos now in seconds with ease and accuracy. The Gimp wants you to use paths or hand draw a mask. Takes much longer and is less accurate. It's 2007, surely they should have this? Intelligent scissors are a step in the right direction but it's not as easy to control and undo like a background eraser brush is. It's the same using the wand or the colour picker - these tools are no solution (they are good for different techniques) and take too long in comparison.

This one drives me nuts - Open two images (one big and one small), copy the small image into the big image. Scale the small image and drag it smaller. The original size of the image is in the way so i cannot rescale it accurately. It's just ridiculous. *note * I just tested this in 2.4 and it's the same and the solution is to drag the object away from your work area, resize and then move it to where you want to place it and resize it. Kind of stupid really but workable.

These things stop me using the gimp because it doesn't work the way I want it to (or at least I am doing something wrong) and in the case it doesn't work logically.

I still dislike the fact the gimp has open windows all the time, The inability to maximise or minimise only windows belonging to the gimp makes the desktop messy and i dont want to see firefox undereath the toolbox etc.

How can these issues not be fixed already?

I will use the gimp because i have no other alternative but i don't do work like i used to for the fun of it because these aspects took the fun out of it!
    Last edited by OoooMatron; September 11th, 2007 at 09:19 AM.

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OoooMatron View Post
    I am running 2.4 rc and i don't see it. I mean the ability to change the brush size incrementally up or down using the mouse wheel or something while working on your picture. It still seems you need to go over the tool box and select a new brush, which is totally ridiculous. If i am wrong I'd love you to correct me.

The tooltip is buggy. If you hover over a tool it doesn't tell you what it is (most of the time).

Still no background eraser tool? You be able to cut out people in photos now in seconds with ease and accuracy. The Gimp wants you to use paths or hand draw a mask. Takes much longer and is less accurate. It's 2007, surely they should have this? Intelligent scissors are a step in the right direction but it's not as easy to control and undo like a background eraser brush is. It's the same using the wand or the colour picker - these tools are no solution (they are good for different techniques) and take too long in comparison.

This one drives me nuts - Open two images (one big and one small), copy the small image into the big image. Scale the small image and drag it smaller. The original size of the image is in the way so i cannot rescale it accurately. It's just ridiculous.

These things stop me using the gimp because it doesn't work the way I want it to (or at least I am doing something wrong) and in the case it doesn't work logically.

I still dislike the fact the gimp has open windows all the time, The inability to maximise or minimise only windows belonging to the gimp makes the desktop messy and i dont want to see firefox undereath the toolbox etc.

How can these issues not be fixed already?
    I have none of these issues at all, I suggest you go to one of the gimp help sites and look them up there, its a question of not treating it like photoshop...its not. Its far better but you need to learn it and from an open point of view like most Linux applications.

To those saying they found it confusing, i say this in the nicest way possible...its NOT mspaint. Its a proffessional drawing application if you don't know how to use it you probably should not be using it, try krita or one of the loads of small photoediting programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by curuxz View Post
    I have none of these issues at all, I suggest you go to one of the gimp help sites and look them up there, its a question of not treating it like photoshop...its not. Its far better but you need to learn it and from an open point of view like most Linux applications.

To those saying they found it confusing, i say this in the nicest way possible...its NOT mspaint. Its a proffessional drawing application if you don't know how to use it you probably should not be using it, try krita or one of the loads of small photoediting programs.
    hmm...you can say it it's free as a beer and as in free speech, you can say you love it to death, you can say that the average user doesn't need something else for his needs...but if you have the slightest trace of objectivity you can't really say (and believe) that gimp is better than photoshop. you simply can't. compare features side by side, ask a pro who's making a living from image editing etc...It's not about how it costs and stuff , it's just about what you can do and how easily you can do with both programs
    P.S I don't use photoshop because I can't afford it. instead I find the free Paint.NET a wonderful replacement for my needs
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you know if Gimp 2.4 will bee in the next Ubuntu release?

I am really looking forward to Gimp 2.4; at last; "completed the color management functionality"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast