Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: DELL Latitude D800

Beans

Cool Re: HOWTO: Dell Latitude D800 Laptop

For me in order to increase the resolution , during reconfiguration of the xfree86 while selecting monitor , i choosed easy install , i selected the 17'' and finished the installation.
    After that i could increase the resolution in gnome till 1400x1050 which is adequate for me at the moment. I haven' t manage to make higher resolution , but i think it has to do with upplying specific monitor specifications such as vertical and horizontal sync. This is done if selecting expert installtion and giving the information , but i can't find mine yet.
    I just figured out how to increase the resolution to 1680x1050 @ 85 Hz on my D800.

Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and scroll down to the "Monitor" section and change the values to

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    HorizSync 30-107
    VertRefresh 50-185
    Option "DPMS"
    Modeline "1280x800" 159.74 1280 1296 1552 1664 800 800 815 835
    ModeLine "1680x1050" 214.51 1680 1800 1984 2288 1050 1051 1054 1103
    EndSection

Enjoy!

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: DELL Latitude D800

Most of the things in this post apply to the D600 (Sound, ndiswrappers, keyboard stuff). The video card is different on a D600 (non nVidia), so maybe this thread could be renamed D600/D800 and the model specific stuff noted? That would help out others as much as it helped me on the D600 I just got!

M0b

Beans

Re: HOWTO: DELL Latitude D800

I don't know if i should post here but i think you guys will show me another place to post if necessary

I just installed ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 8600c, which is very alike to the d800 and the d600 it also uses the broadcom drivers for wireless lan and normal lan. I tried to apply this howto to my system but it didnt work, because i need to be on the internet to do it, and since my wireless and my normal lan are not detected it won't work.
    Anyone any thoughts how to get my lan to work? Help would be appreciated since im a total n00b to ubuntu

Beans

The D800 laptop will hang when you close the lid, this is a kernel bug with Ubuntu. A workaround to that problem is available here

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/d...n/howto/dellat

It would be nice if we can add this to the HOWTO, just to make it complete.

Beans

Hmmm...I smell the need to develop a full "Ubuntu Dell Laptop" HOWTO....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lindo
    I don't know if i should post here but i think you guys will show me another place to post if necessary

I just installed ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 8600c, which is very alike to the d800 and the d600 it also uses the broadcom drivers for wireless lan and normal lan. I tried to apply this howto to my system but it didnt work, because i need to be on the internet to do it, and since my wireless and my normal lan are not detected it won't work.
    Anyone any thoughts how to get my lan to work? Help would be appreciated since im a total n00b to ubuntu
    Lindo - does this page help?

http://mysite.verizon.net/negatron/l...ranet8600.html

Apparently the 8600c uses a Broadcom chipset, but not the same as the Latitude series ones. This guy needed to recompilete the kernel with the drivers added in. He's using Libranet which is Debian based, but I think the info might be helpful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by m0bilitee
    Hmmm...I smell the need to develop a full "Ubuntu Dell Laptop" HOWTO....

Ditto! It could a generic Dell + Ubuntu HOWTO which talks about specific model numbers and the workarounds.

Beans

Hey m0bilitee, i came across that same site just a while ago, i also downloaded those drivers and tried to install.

Only thing is that i don't know how to recompile the kernel.
    I already looked at this guide:http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/KernelHowto , but what i make from that is that i need to aptget something first, which i cannot do since I'm not connected to the internet by any means.

So, any thoughts on how to solve this problem ?

Beans

*bump*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lindo
    Hey m0bilitee, i came across that same site just a while ago, i also downloaded those drivers and tried to install.

Only thing is that i don't know how to recompile the kernel.
    I already looked at this guide:http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/KernelHowto , but what i make from that is that i need to aptget something first, which i cannot do since I'm not connected to the internet by any means.

So, any thoughts on how to solve this problem ?
    How did you install in the first place, CDROM? There should be a kernel source package on that if that's how you did it from the start.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast