Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Request a game installation guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Request a game installation guide

Yep, post your wish/request of your favorite linux game you want an installation guide for. Mostly because new versions of X games need to be compiled from source or that the .deb package you have havn't enable an option you want to use or other reasons. The guides also suggest where to look for the games and installs them in a place so you don't drowned in folders everywhere.

To check what we have already: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=662770
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; January 26th, 2008 at 09:08 PM.

Beans

Arrow Re: Request a game installation guide

Great idea here for those of us that love linux but are held back by the fact of Windows having many of the games we play.

One of the 2 FPS games i have been playing for a long time is:
    Red Orchestra - the Unreal Engine powered MOD thats been around for a while. I know alot of people play Unreal Tournament with linux, so this should be an easy one for you

thanx in advance

Beans
    Distro

Re: Request a game installation guide

Quote Originally Posted by deviceb View Post
    Great idea here for those of us that love linux but are held back by the fact of Windows having many of the games we play.

One of the 2 FPS games i have been playing for a long time is:
    Red Orchestra - the Unreal Engine powered MOD thats been around for a while. I know alot of people play Unreal Tournament with linux, so this should be an easy one for you

thanx in advance
    Doesn't Red Orchestra cost money or is there an UT2004 free mod?

Beans

RO was free for years until about 2 years ago when Tripwire (people who make it) won enough Unreal Tournament game design contests that they decided to officially launch the game. -A good story as far game designers go. From modders to a full game design company..

RO can now be purchased through Steam for about 20$ i believe. For a time, right now the game is free 2 play.
    Perhaps to generate a larger player base. The game has had incredible updates over the years and now looks better (graphic-wise) than Battlefield2 when settings are maxed. The ballistics and in game physics are also much more refined then other FPSers Also servers now support up to 50 players, which is the largest next to BF2 for a FPS game. (as far as i know)

Because the game has a dedicated dev team and gamers, it's one of the few i have played for years on end. -A sign of a great game. And one of the few i would pay money for.

Unreal Tournament has always treated the linux community better than other game companies that only cater to Windows.
    It's a great choice for any linux gamer who's into realistic FPS games, with gore & a higher percentage of adult gamers..

*i am not affiliated with any of these companies in any way, i just want to play my top picks on my linux machines!

*also... if i am not mistaken people still do play the free UT mod of the game. Although all engine updates have been on the retail version.. fyi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Requested game: Uplink

I've put together a guide for installation here: Uplink install but it could use some work (with the unzipping in particular)

I know this is a commercial game, you have to pay for it, but it is one of my favourites and is made by the same people who did Darwinia (you already have a guide for that)

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I'll take a look at it and put something together. But I will have no chance to test it for real.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for doing this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here's one for Nostalgia.

FreeOrion.

http://freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page

Beans
    Distro

Yep, I save that one for gutsy. To many newer libs required.

Beans

Requst: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

If you have not played this demo yet.. check it out. It is a ton of fun, above par with BF2.

I will be a huge game when released. The one map demo is already huge.

This will prob. end up being one of my staple fps. if Doom3 can be run on linux this one can as well. I have yet to try..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast