Thread: mint linux and mepis linux (distro vs derivative )

Beans

mint linux and mepis linux (distro vs derivative )

I'm really not sure what the difference is between a distro and derivative? I read an article awhile ago about people saying Mepis wasn't a separate distro, but more of a derivative of ubuntu. Well even though Mepis uses KDE by default, it was night and day compared to ubuntu and now they have even gone back to using debian for their baseline.

Well I just tried Mint and it looked like a tweaked ubuntu. If somebody stuck mint linux on a machine and told me it was their configured ubuntu setup, I would believe it. So why is it being considered another distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: mint linux and mepis linux (distro vs derivative )

Because someone tweaked it and change the name.They did a *major* tweak.
    Last edited by Acglaphotis; September 7th, 2007 at 04:29 PM.

Beans

I am quite frustrated of people saying that mint is just a modified ubuntu. Is Ubuntu just a modified Debian?

Ubuntu is different than Debian because it has custom tools, custom repos, it is more up to date, more complete, and looks different.

Mint is different than Ubuntu because it has custom tools, custom repos (although they aren't as big as ubuntu's), it is more up to date, more complete, and it looks different.

Explain to me why mint is just a "tweak".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mint uses one additional set of repos but mainly uses Ubuntu's repos.

Ubuntu uses a completely different set of repos from Debian.

If you take a Ubuntu installation, change the artwork, add a few tools and packages, and one entry to your /etc/apt/sources.list, you will have Linux Mint.

You cannot take a Debian installation, change the repos to Ubuntu and suddenly make it Ubuntu. If you change the repos, you'll just have a broken system.

Beans

aysiu said what I've experienced. I like it that mint is similar to ubuntu and more of a derivation, because I really love ubuntu, but the few things I like out of the box mint provides. I really do like mint.
    Now if I use Mepis or Debian, to me they are totally different distros.

I just started to use Mint and I'm really impressed with it. The closer they stay to Ubuntu the happier I'll be though

Beans

Red face Re: mint linux and mepis linux (distro vs derivative )

Quote Originally Posted by bone2006 View Post
    I'm really not sure what the difference is between a distro and derivative? I read an article awhile ago about people saying Mepis wasn't a separate distro, but more of a derivative of ubuntu. Well even though Mepis uses KDE by default, it was night and day compared to ubuntu and now they have even gone back to using debian for their baseline.

Well I just tried Mint and it looked like a tweaked ubuntu. If somebody stuck mint linux on a machine and told me it was their configured ubuntu setup, I would believe it. So why is it being considered another distro?
    The problem with Mepis is you never know what their base will be from day to day.