Thread: Gutsy Release Party

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gutsy Release Party

There has been talk about a Gutsy release party already, but I haven't seen it on the team forums yet. We are looking for places we can hold this meeting and ideas. Gutsy will be released on a Thursday, so there may be some debate on which day to meet up. Jono has set up a few resources for the LoCos already. Take a look at: Running a Release Party

We have several things we should consider:

• Who: I'd like a show of hands for those who would like to attend.
    • What: Demos, food, drinks, installs? What else?
    • Where: We need to narrow the location or utilize multiple release parties in the state.
    • When: Start time and end time.

Who - It doesn't matter where you are located, we can figure out the location(s) once we know who is going to attend. Another option may be to hold multiple locations for the release. If you want to be there, just give the word. We can also arrange car-pooling if the need should present itself. The team has expanded quite a bit from the first meet'n'greet we held at Matt's house, let's see who else would be interested. We can grab some pictures and finally add them to our gallery!

What - At the release party, what do you guys want to do... One suggestion was to hold a demo of the new features in Gutsy or highlight some of the new applications. Food, drink, and conversations will be considered mandatory. In all, it will be a good time to kick back and relax.

Where - Suggestions are needed here. If you have an idea for a place, definitely note what the average cost would be and how long everyone could hang out.

When - The time will need to be hammered out once the location is set in stone.

The Gutsy Release Party Wiki page is already up. We can add more information to it as the discussion progresses.

Beans

Re: Gutsy Release Party

I thought Minsky's was mentioned by someone? Even a time was mentioned; 5:30pm. Just curious.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Id suggest music... but everyone has their own unique tastes in music...

I myself like grunge (its a genre of rock).

However, I suppose nice, friendly music might be good... just please.... no rap music......

if its decent rap music, and not annoying crap like "Party like a Rockstar", then I'd be ok with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am all for it. I live in St. Louis. Where is it going to happen?

Thanks.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I dropped the ball on it. My son came down with a severe case of pneumonia that would not go away and that pretty much consumed me for the last several weeks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Don't feel bad guys. I managed to catch the #fluxbuntu release party on Freenode when joejaxx released the 1.5RC1 CDs to the public. I've just downloaded it and am planning to try it on the laptop as soon as I sort my files out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Gutsy Release Party

I am back with a new insured Dell and a DVD-RW which could be utilized to copy disks such as the install DVD and eventually the install library which usually comes in the form of 7-8 DVDs and that I need to get a copy of before this release party if possible. I also would to upload to a site the same library once it gets released for downloads and distribution.
    I am just thinking ahead and I live in Springfield which is central to a lot of different locations, I am also a file freak as you could tell which is why I would like to get a copy of the new release prior to the release party for installation and distribution. I woul dlove to get a copy of the entire universes of Ubuntu 10.04 ( I think I said correctly). Write back soon this is March 11th and time is clicking away. I've heard really good things about 10.04 from my research. btw.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The biggest problem with mirroring the repositories is that they can be massive. If you want to look at creating a mirror yourself look into installing and running apt-mirror.

I'm in Springfield as well. I've been running 10.04 LTS on my home pc for a while and I really like it. I still run 8.10 on my desktop at work, but that's primarily just been me not wanting to use the bandwidth at work to upgrade it yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I want to know if the 10.04LTS is ready for installation at this point. I only have one computer and it is vital to my lifestyle.
    When is the final release going to be out and do you know where to find a repository ?
    I am tempted to buy a set once they are compiled and then set up a second machine with the space and bandwidth necessary to publish a complete repository. I have the second machine in the budget and I am looking for drives to store the packages.
    I also noticed that you are in Battlefield which is close to Springfield where I live. Would it be possible to put together a release party here in Springfield or somewhere within commuting distance?
    Do we have a LoCo group here in Springfield?
    I am relatively new with Ubuntu and Linux and really not that knowledgeable about computers in general. I got started through a friend of mine who finally convinced me of Linux and it's usage. I have been using Ubuntu for less than 6 months now and it is very stable and of remarkably good quality compared to the competition.
    Write back and use the forums if possible to communicate for now, Please, Windwalker
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker52 View Post
    I want to know if the 10.04LTS is ready for installation at this point. I only have one computer and it is vital to my lifestyle.
    When is the final release going to be out and do you know where to find a repository ?
    I am tempted to buy a set once they are compiled and then set up a second machine with the space and bandwidth necessary to publish a complete repository. I have the second machine in the budget and I am looking for drives to store the packages.
    I also noticed that you are in Battlefield which is close to Springfield where I live. Would it be possible to put together a release party here in Springfield or somewhere within commuting distance?
    Do we have a LoCo group here in Springfield?
    I am relatively new with Ubuntu and Linux and really not that knowledgeable about computers in general. I got started through a friend of mine who finally convinced me of Linux and it's usage. I have been using Ubuntu for less than 6 months now and it is very stable and of remarkably good quality compared to the competition.
    Thanks
    It's not really a competition Everyone has the same purpose, it's not like we are going to set Redhat users on fire or anything.

I would suggest running Lucid in a virtual machine first, either with Virtualbox or VMware.

There's also no need for you to waste your time, money or effort in 'mirroring' a repository. There's two reasons, first it's really a waste of your time, secondly there are alot of steps to jump between an official 'mirror'. With the thousands of other Ubuntu mirrors out there I just don't see the point. So unless you are sitting on an untapped T-3+ connection then let the other mirrors do their work.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/mirror/2
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/mirror/1