View Poll Results: Which flavor of Ubuntu do you use?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ubuntu

30 76.92%
  • Kubuntu

2 5.13%
  • Xubuntu

3 7.69%
  • Fluxbuntu

0 0%
  • Other

4 10.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick your poison: DE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Pick your poison: DE

Just curious which Desktop Environment is your primary. What's your reason for choosing one over another?

My primary is Gnome. I tried using KDE3 but I was frustrated with it rather quickly. When I need to do some work though, I log into a session of Flux... flux is fast. Just needs some serious tweaking to fit your personal style. I still have some KDE apps (K3B, ktorrent), but I'm looking to replace them with something gnomelike without losing some of the features.
    Last edited by Spr0k3t; September 6th, 2007 at 10:56 AM.

Beans

Re: Pick your poison: DE

i like kde because i can customize it a lot and for some of it's great apps..

im using it for 6 month or so, started to use linux 8 month ago with gnome.
    on the first sight i didnt like kde, especially when you run kde apps in an gnome environment, they looked horrible in my eyes. then i tried a sabayon live cd, and was impressed of kde.

several times i did install ubuntu-desktop again (or ubuntu-studio), but didnt feel comfortable with gnome.

for example i cant find an audio-player thats on amarok's level, i tried audacious, banshee, listen, exaile, rythmbox. same with kaffeine, its just superior to totem

but i always use some gtk apps that i cant replace: firefox, synaptic, gimp
    konqueror is so much slower, even with this ipv6 thing turned off. synaptic is easier than adept, and theres no replacement for the gimp.

gtk apps in kde can use your qt style and thats great

i read a alot of kde4 development and i think this will be a big step for kde!

EDIT: whoops i didnt realise this thread is for the missouri loco team , i just hit ""get unanswered posts"

Beans
    Distro

It's all good funpop... it seems the distinction between the two primary DEs is personal preference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I prefer KDE but use Ubuntu due to missing features in Kubuntu. I also seem to experience more instability in Kubuntu with the administrative commands. For example, I'll open the package manager, but it won't open nor will I see the password prompt. I have to attempt to open it anywhere from 2 to 3 times before I actually get it open. I've also opened an admin app and had it ask for the password but it never opens the application. I also do not like the Kubuntu KDE configuration app that resembles Mac OS X's as it is missing some important configuration pieces that I have to go to a shell and open kcontrol to get at. Also I experience issues dealing with the configuration app when opening certain admin sections, for example the user and group section. It would tell me the module was not loaded and I never really investigated beyond that as it would work after logging out and back in. Kubuntu just seems to lack the smooth, integrated look and feel Ubuntu gives me, which is sad because KDE has such an awesome core design. I love the modular approach, and how I can split windows, tab windows, have a terminal attached to almost anything. One thing I wish KDE distro's would do, would be to actually give KDE a good look and feel out of the box instead of leaving it in the default, all options enabled, cluttered mess. Many users don't want to spend hours configuring their desktop, they just want to sit down and use it. Anyways, KDE4 looks really really promising and I can't wait to give it a try. Maybe someday soon I might have time to actually fix some of these issues that plague me, but until then, thanks for the awesome work on the *buntu's.

EDIT: Oops as well, was searching for KDE4 installation guides and this was at the top so I figured I'd vote.

Beans
    Distro

LOL! Open Season!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

dwm and a bunch of terminals!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I use both. I got K on the laptop and Gnome on the desktop. I like the stability/simplicity of gnome while at the same time like the polished feeling I get from K. I guess that's why I use/like both.

edit: My favorite apps are K though: amaroK, k3b, Kopete...to name a few

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've tried Kubuntu and Ubuntu.
    I prefer Gnome, however I use quite a lot KDE apps. (Amarok, Kdenlive, Krusader, Kaffeine, Kget, Piklab, K3b)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Xubuntu for me. I actually like the xfce desktop. I'ts lightweight, fast and very efficient for my laptop as well as desktop.

Beans

I used to use kde and I am excited about the changes to come in 4.0 but it seems to me that ubuntu with gnome has more polish to it than kubuntu does so I run ubuntu on my primary pc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast