Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Promoting Linux through School?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Talking Re: Promoting Linux through School?

Quote Originally Posted by RedAFlame570 View Post
    I'll be honest, I am on the fence myself. So I know how the others feel. I think that Linux is a good system from the different distros I tried out but for me to tear away from Windows right away is hard to do. I do understand the advantages and disadvantages of Linox but I am stuck in the middle waiting for a hard sell....
    Micro$oft likes to do all the selling, to be honest.

To the OP:

I sponsor a high school programming club. Nothing gets people interested in Linux like taking in my laptop and showing them how cool it is. Suddenly Linux is "hip" at our school. A local paper ran an article about Linux that got passed around. Also, some students know how much freedom Linux allows the user.

That said, I still use Windows with some of the programming we do. We still run open-source packages on Windows. When the student see how those same packages are in the package managers, Ubuntu seems quite familiar to them by then.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Promoting Linux through School?

I've turned in all the applications and stuff recently...

My adviser has told me that the word 'syndicate' can possibly give off the wrong impression...(criminal organization >_>)

Therefore I'm thinking of a last minute name change...

Any ideas (innovative) ...I was thinking of using the Linux Society but seeing how common that is ...I really don't know what to do...

preferably it should use LXS ( since i don't feel like changing all the logos and stuff after this much work )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would say one of the best things you can emphasize is that just about any distro of Linux is *free* (as in free beer). Sadly, most people don't care about the cultural and social freedom is provides, but the fact that you don't have to pay for it always turns some heads. Americans love FREE.

Keep emphasizing the no malware.

Remind gamers that Linux is very efficient at multi-tasking, whlie Windows is not, and that Linux uses way less resources than Windows while running a game. Point out that Nvidia and ATI support Linux.

Have a special section of the club just for Linux gaming. That way everybody can work on WINE together (or Cedega, should you choose).

Those are just a few things. Everybody else has pointed out great things. What you are doing is AWESOME, and should be encouragement to everyone else (including me!) to start Linux clubs in their school, community or workplace.

Good luck!
    Linux Gamer.
    Steam: rudeboyskunk
    Desura: rudeboyskunk
    Add me as a friend. Kill zombies/aliens/nazis with me. ON LINUX.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by rzrgenesys187 View Post
    The best way i've found to get people to try linux is to let them install vista
    LOL!..... YOU,..... you're good you, You, you're good ha ha ha

I'd like to go out for a beer with you. But, then again, you are from Pittsburgh....j/k....j/k

Beans
    Hidden!

Promoting Linux through School?

Alright , so our TCHS Club Day 2007 ended up being a disaster with so many brochures and fliers not distributed ...Then again most of the time it was location , location , location >__>. Not that many people were really interested either but anyways ...I'll be using Ubuntu as a foundation since it's a distro I feel "at home" at but the students would be free to choose what distro that they want to use..

I guess that means there may be some new members over time on this forum if there's any issue that I or my co-president find hard to fix or otherwise by referral...

I'll keep you guys updated...Also , I'm open to suggestions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12