Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install Fedora Without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Install Fedora Without a CD

Thanks for the information! I have an older PC without a DVD drive that I would love to test some newer distros on, and this is perfect.

Cheers!
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've added UNetbootin builds for performing no-cd installations of CentOS 5.1 from Windows or Linux as well. It's not Fedora, of course, but given that it's basically a free, rebranded version of RHEL 5, it might be useful for some Fedora and RHEL users. Usual download spot at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821

Instructions: CentOS 5.1

Download the CentOS 5.1 package, then follow the same instructions as above, only for the server and folder, put:

server: mirrors.kernel.org
    folder: centos/5.1/os/i386

or, if you want a 64-bit install, for the folder, specify:

folder: centos/5.1/os/x86_64
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; December 20th, 2007 at 09:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I've added UNetbootin builds for installing Fedora Rawhide (the development version) without a CD. Since Rawhide is constantly undergoing development, and contains the latest, bleeding-edge software, it is unsuitable for usage in a production environment, and, depending on the release cycle, it may not work or install at all. Thus, these builds are only meant for those wanting to test the latest snapshot of the upcoming Fedora release. Since Rawhide's kernel is constantly changing, the UNetbootin build for Rawhide does not bundle the kernel nor initrd; rather it downloads the latest one off the official Fedora mirrors; thus the size of the package is reduced, but interenet access is required for usage.

The Rawhide builds can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/project/show...kage_id=240555

Fedora Rawhide Install Instructions

Install the UNetbootin package, reboot, and select UNetbootin on the GRUB boot menu. After rebooting, start the installation, and when prompted for an installation source choose 'Network' as the source, choose 'HTTP' as the protocol, and when prompted for a server, enter:

Code:
    download.fedora.redhat.com
    When asked for the folder, if installing the 32-bit (i386) version, enter:

Code:
    /pub/fedora/linux/development/i386/os
    Or, if installing the 64-bit (x86_64) version, enter:

Code:
    /pub/fedora/linux/development/x86_64/os

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

What happens if my computer is getting it's internet by encrypted wi-fi? Can I still use this?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Romanus81 View Post
    What happens if my computer is getting it's internet by encrypted wi-fi? Can I still use this?
    Yes, but instead of installing directly from the internet, pre-download the Fedora DVD iso to a partition other than the one you aim to install to and specify that using the "hard drive" installation source option when the Fedora installer begins, rather than "http". Remember to pre-partition your drives (see http://www.howtoforge.com/unetbootin...untu_fedora_p4 ); you cannot resize them if using a pre-downloaded iso as the installation source

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

What advantages of doing this are there over just using a regular dvd with the ISO burned onto it?
    fedora core 9
    XBL Gamertag: MDK BlOOdHuNTeR

I'm one of them things they call a right wing conservative gun nut. Nice to meet you.
    PSN: whitefang5412

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whitefang5412 View Post
    What advantages of doing this are there over just using a regular dvd with the ISO burned onto it?
    The very purpose is to spare you the need for the DVD (and thus is most useful if you can't boot from CD/DVD or don't have a spare CD/DVD, or just don't want to burn one), so if you already have the DVD burned and ready to go, just use the DVD since this is otherwise the same as the standard DVD install procedure (only without the DVD).

Beans

I have used this to install Fedora on computers w/out a DVD drive. I boot Knoppix and copy the ISO from another computer to a hard drive partition, then boot the kenrel and initrd and select "hard drive" as the installation media.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12