Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any new Linux User Groups starting in Michigan?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Any new Linux User Groups starting in Michigan?

I know of a couple user groups for Linux in Michigan, but I was wondering if anyone had any information on new groups trying to form.

MUG is close enough for me, but of all days they meet it happens to be on Tuesdays. I have a standing commitment on Tuesdays. <-- figures. Did I mention my last name was Murphy? If anything can go wrong, it probably will.

Looking in the area of Oakland/Macomb county. Thanks.
    Last edited by em007a; September 5th, 2007 at 03:45 AM.
    Ubuntu User # 11197 * Linux User # 439846

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Any new Linux User Groups starting in Michigan?

The only *new* group I know of is the Michigan LoCo. MUG, MDLUG, WLUG, GLLUG(?) are all older groups. I'm not sure what the need is for a new group when we've got so many already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by wolfger View Post
    I'm not sure what the need is for a new group when we've got so many already.
    The only group I know close enough to me is MUG and they hold their meetings on a day that doesn't fit my work schedule. So if anybody knows of another group the question is still open.
    Ubuntu User # 11197 * Linux User # 439846

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfger View Post
    The only *new* group I know of is the Michigan LoCo. MUG, MDLUG, WLUG, GLLUG(?) are all older groups. I'm not sure what the need is for a new group when we've got so many already.
    The only ones I can find are in the greater Detriot area. I'm in Bay City, about 2 hrs north of Detroit. Meetings there are a little out of the way for me, so I can tell you that something closer to me would be handy indeed...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello! I also live in the Macomb/Oakland area, and I'm also disappointed by the lack of nearby LUGs.

I've got commitments on every tuesday and thursday (I go to college two days a week, I'm a systems and network administrator for the other three), and MUG would also be the closest for me.

I would be interested in forming a Macomb/Oakland area LUG. With work and college, I doubt I could handle the mass of logistics and such on my own, though. I'm also far from being a Linux veteran still, although I'm far enough along to no longer consider myself a newbie, I think.
    Last edited by tjagoda; October 7th, 2007 at 05:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I would love to get a LUG started in the Flint area. A buddy of mine and I were talking about it at one point, but we never got the ball rolling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Isnt there already a LUG in the Flint area?
    Registered Linux User #455695

Michigan Ubuntu LoCo Member

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Heh, I just moved from Flint after being there for 7 years. There's nothing that I know of. I drove down to AA for python groups and then to the MUG meetings for my linux fix. Don't tell me *now* that there's been stuff in Flint all along.

How many of you guys could do Ann Arbor on a monthly basis? There are a ton of groups going on there right now:
    Python
    Ruby
    .NET
    AACS
    Java
    etc...

I've thought about trying to setup more Ubuntu LoCo events there if there was interest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ann Arbor is about 80 miles away from me. I would prefer a place like Troy if you're going for that region.

I'm still adamant about getting a LUG in the Oakland/Macomb county area.
    Registered Linux User #455695

Michigan Ubuntu LoCo Member

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yea, the trouble is the MUG is the best lug in the area. I know I'd rather go there than anywhere else at this point. I'm in oakland county as well so it's a 30min trip, but worth it every month.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast