Thread: RAID 2 or 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question RAID 2 or 3

Hello everyone!
    I've recently read some stuff about RAID(my cousin wants to organise the hds in his work in RAID for safety) but we're both wondering
    what's the need of RAID2 which corrects only one error in a disc and it needs more discs to do it while RAID3 corrects errors in 1 bit by using only 1 parity disc.Is there any particular feature of RAID2 which makes it better than RAID3?
    Those that can,do.Those that can't,complain!

Your right to speak doesn't include our obligation to take you seriously

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: RAID 2 or 3

Quote Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I've recently read some stuff about RAID(my cousin wants to organise the hds in his work in RAID for safety) but we're both wondering
    what's the need of RAID2 which corrects only one error in a disc and it needs more discs to do it while RAID3 corrects errors in 1 bit by using only 1 parity disc.Is there any particular feature of RAID2 which makes it better than RAID3?
    I'd advise reading up more on the different levels of RAID. Here and here. Then you should be able to decide for yourself. Lot's of people I know use RAID 5.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I believe levels 2 and 3 are legacy, and not really used at all. You want just about any level besides 0. You probably want level 5 (2 data + 1 parity, with parity and data scattered over all 3 disks).
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you all for the links and advice,we now have to choose between RAID 1 and 5,but it's a decision that depends on cost and efficiency and it's not up to me to make now.I think 5 is the best solution,though it may be harder to setup than a RAID 1.
    Thanks again
    Those that can,do.Those that can't,complain!

Your right to speak doesn't include our obligation to take you seriously

Beans

I use Raid5, maybe more expensive and slower to set up then RAID1 but dispite having a lower write speed its got more storage avaliable with redundency percentage wise.