Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a distribution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Recommend me a distribution

So I want to learn more about Linux and think it's a good idea to compile everything from the scratch. I also want a fast distribution.

So far I've only heard of Gentoo (which seems to suit fine for me, but I've got trouble with networking). I've also heard of Arch Linux, but I'm not sure whether you have to compile everything yourself or that there are binary packages.

So, can anyone recommend me a distribution?
    ➙ Synchronize all your files across Windows, Linux and Mac OS with Dropbox (2GB free storage!). By signing up via this link I'll get some extra space also, thanks!

Multiseat on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Recommend me a distribution

ubuntu
    what is beautiful is not always good, but what is good is always beautiful!
    When I'm right no one remembers..When I'm wrong no one forgets..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you want to compile everything, +1 for Gentoo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

if you really want to overdo it, there are a number of compile-it-yourself distributions, such as linuxfromscratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/). however i tend to find that with these distributions you spend more time following instructions about how to do things for this specific distribution than learning about the glue that holds a gnu/linux distribution together.
    there are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and i don't know who the other F are.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sharks View Post
    ubuntu
    No, I know this distribution and everything is too easy (I will keep using it as my main OS though). I want something more geeky and something I learn from.

If you want to compile everything, +1 for Gentoo
    I don't know if I really want this, I just want a distribution from which I can learn how Linux really works.
    Last edited by Martje_001; July 19th, 2008 at 12:26 PM.
    ➙ Synchronize all your files across Windows, Linux and Mac OS with Dropbox (2GB free storage!). By signing up via this link I'll get some extra space also, thanks!

Multiseat on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Arch is good, and it really takes your problem-solving skills to get it running if you're unlucky(like me) Pacman is a joy to use(the arch equivalent of APT) There is almost nothing you can't find in the repos. Arch is a distro which aims to help you tailor it to your needs. You install the modules, you install everything yoursefl, as you want. It's like binary gentoo
    Joeb454 | LOL DONGS

Beans
    Hidden!

Arch, I've heard only good things about it. I'm also planning on getting another OS thats a little more "geeky" Someone on this forum actually did a nice review of Arch recently, I'll find the link in a second

EDIT: Heres the link to the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=862801
    The link to the review is in the thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Martje_001 View Post
    I don't know if I really want this, I just want a distribution from which I can learn how Linux really works.
    Debian and Slackware, perhaps

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Martje_001 View Post
    So I want to learn more about Linux and think it's a good idea to compile everything from the scratch. I also want a fast distribution.

So far I've only heard of Gentoo (which seems to suit fine for me, but I've got trouble with networking). I've also heard of Arch Linux, but I'm not sure whether you have to compile everything yourself or that there are binary packages.

So, can anyone recommend me a distribution?
    if you're looking for a distro that will force you to learn everything from scratch, that's not going to be arch. i use arch and, while i found it to require more attention to detail while installing, i've pretty much been able to lah-dee-dah my way through using it ever since. the documentation for arch is clear and complete without being tl/dr-ish. if you want to learn more, why not just learn more? (you could start with networking, for example.)

Beans
    Distro

Agreed with above post, you can already learn a great deal with Ubuntu.

Moved to Other OS Talk.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast