Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NT Domain Authentication

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NT Domain Authentication

Quote Originally Posted by Philiphgray
    Hi guys - Think I might have a solution to this for you.

I was having the same problem until I went into System>Administration>login screen setup (I think you can also run "gksudo gdmsetup" to get this). I then switched to the "security" tab and unchecked the box next to "Always disallow TCP connections to X server"

While I was there I also switched the graphical greeter to "happy gnome with browser" so that I could see domain users on bootup - just to make sure everything was looking ok!

I hope this helps. If its wrong or if theres anything stupid contained within, then please accept my apologies - I've only been using linux for a month or so as a curiosity-project, so I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but most of that time has been spent configuring it to work with AD. Worked for me though.

<Rant>
    And incidentally, why does this have to be so totally painful on every distro I've tried? So far, I've tried fedora, rhe, suse and ubuntu and all of them have made my life hell when simply trying to get hooked up to a windows domain.

Ubuntu is the only distro where I've ever got this to work (so it scores BIG points from me there) and that took a couple of days spent googling and some total trial-and-error-config-file-madness!

And whats really annoying is that all of the software is out there to make it work, you've just got to faff around for so long to get it to play. I've been that hacked off by this that I'm seriously thinking of doing some kind of "idiots guide to joining ubuntu to a domain". Granted, there are some good articles out there: the one on wiki is quite handy (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ActiveDirectoryWinbindHowto) but fell over for me at "apt-get install krb5-user" which just didn't work on my default hoary install!

From my perspective, as a veteran windows user (but total linux newbie) this is the sort of thing that has to work out-of-the box, first-time and through a nice GUI. Instead, I've been downloading and unpacking tar files for hours and now my brain is bleeding.

Something should be done.
    </Rant>

Thanks for your time.
    Yay, I got it logging in and working following your directions. I had to reboot also afterwards, but the only thing I don't have working I see so far is sound. Does your sound work? Did you have to do anything special for AD users to get their sound going? I have sound for the regular user, but not for AD users.

Beans

I figured out the sound issue. The only thing I am curious about now is if there is a way to get it to where users don't have to use the DOMAIN+username and just login with username.

Beans

The auth works like a charm, i am just fiddling around with smbfs/cifsfs in fstab to get it to mount //server/share/userhomes to /home/DOMAIN so all settings and files come along.

Any ideas how to do that?

/* fumidus */

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I followed the guide and found it great. I was joining a 2003 domain so I needed to change a few things but otheriwse it was dead on... good job. I just have 1 question. How do I give my domain users the sudo ability. I have added their username to the sudoers file but it still says users not in sudoers file when I try sudo. Any ideas would be welcome. I hope someday that linux does incorporate some of this stuff into the default install... you know like you boot up and it asks ... "Would you like to join a windows AD domain" and then a few answers later... DONE! that would be great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elasticwings
    I figured out the sound issue. The only thing I am curious about now is if there is a way to get it to where users don't have to use the DOMAIN+username and just login with username.
    I'm having the same problem. how you solved that?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: HOWTO: NT Domain Authentication

Ok I made a mess yesterday.
    I just searched all the forums for a way to get my network working.
    And I found this and thought I'd give it a try.
    The only BIG problem is that I got "Ubuntu Breezy Badger 5.10".
    Stupid as I am I didn't even read what this was for.
    I just started changing the files. (made backups of course)

But now I can't even log in.
    When I try to log in with my regular user I just get a message saying:
    Authentication failed!
    And then the login screen comes back on.
    If I write a user that does not exist or if I enter the wrong password for my user, then it just goes back to writing username and says I entered wrong information.
    So it knows that I have entered the right information but the login is still broken.

This was a BIG missake bye me but hopwfully there is a way to save my precious computer...
    ???

Beans

Hi !

I'm new at this forum

Working on Ubuntu Breezy Badger 5.10, done the modifications like described in the first post on a clean new installation.

wbinfo -u
    wbinfo -g

shows the domain users and groups.

but 'getent passwd' shows only the local data.

How can i find the problem ??

I can't login with domain user/pass.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question gksudo b0rk3d

I basically did what you did above, but now gksudo doesn't work. Sudo works fine, as my sudoers file contains %domain\ admins ALL=(ALL) ALL to give domain admins access to sudo. Without gksudo, though, all of the System Administration etc icons don't work, which is annoying.

Which I click a launcher that calls "gksudo command" absolutely nothing happens, no password or anything. It's like I didn't click anything at all.

When I run "gksudo command" from a term, I'm prompted "passowrd:" in the term just like I had used sudo, but the password is not masked when I enter it and nothing happens if I type the correct password; it just hangs until Ctrl+c.

When I run "gksudo command" from a term in which I've already successfuly used sudo, then the application launches with root privledges and I am not prompted for my password.

Any ideas ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: gksudo b0rk3d

hi, i run Ubuntu dapper drake 6.06
    need to connect to a share "sharename:lincon" in windows server 2003, this is a domain controller and the domain name is zen.local. how do i do this?
    Please my head is dead tryong to figure things out!!
    Regards,
    Abhi Kalyan
    http://www.kgsplus.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gksudo b0rk3d

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi Kalyan View Post
    hi, i run Ubuntu dapper drake 6.06
    need to connect to a share "sharename:lincon" in windows server 2003, this is a domain controller and the domain name is zen.local. how do i do this?
    Please my head is dead tryong to figure things out!!
    If you just want to connect to the share, you can..

- open up nautilus
    - press ctrl+L
    - type the path of the share into the location bar example: \\servername\sharename\
    - enter a valid username and password

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast