Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install fest with a twist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Install fest with a twist

Install fests are times when you go out to meet new people in the area and help with installing Linux on their computer system. I want to do something radically different.

I want to set up a day where we perform an install fest across the state of Missouri. Set up some time in colleges, to work with installing the latest Ubuntu. I'm thinking this would be best suited for installing 8.04 so we can plan the events state wide.

To pull this off is going to take quite a bit of coordination, planning, and communication. Do we have anyone in the MarketingTeam who can help with the "presentation" value? We also need people from the various areas to look into school scheduling. The best time to do this would be in the middle of the week so as to catch as many interested users as possible.

One idea I have, pull together all of the states to get involved. Instead of making it state wide only, make it happen across the nation. It would definitely turn a few heads.

What are your thoughts on something like this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Install fest with a twist

Sounds Good. I think its a great idea.
    Last edited by peanut butter; September 2nd, 2007 at 07:14 AM.
    "If you are savvy and smart about the choices you make in life, The sky is not the limit!" - Mark Shuttleworth
    This message has been rot 26 encrypted for security reasons.

Beans
    Distro

Alright... I've put out a feeler in a couple areas and so far everyone has said this idea should go nation wide. So, I've got a wiki page started and I'm going to post this in the USTeams forum to leverage the idea across the board.

If you would like to contribute in your area, or need help finding other users interested in taking part, please respond in this thread.

Wiki Page:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MissouriTeam...ts/InstallFest

Beans

sweet. I think it'd be cool. I think that a high profile event like this would be a good way to generate publicity and get more people to try it out.

Beans
    Distro

I have to agree with that. I'm sure if we can pull this off, there will be some form of large media coverage... not just the type of user submitted news coverage... but the larger closed media circuit. I wonder if we could get some media backing from the guys over at Canonical?

I'm not thinking outside of the box just yet with this idea. I'm thinking with a really huge box is all.

What about media fliers from ZaReason, System76, or even Dell. You know, for those people who bring in really old computer systems and the installers just can't get Ubuntu installed... give them some fliers of the OEM installed options.

Beans

Hm, that could be interesting. I'd want to ship a lot of CDs though, because those look more "official" and less home-brewed than a CD-R.

It seems like the main issues are going to be
    a) getting people to organize enough local events for good coverage
    b) getting other people (particularly those unfamiliar with Ubuntu) to show up
    We'll need a compelling reason for people to move away from what their used to, and take time to learn something entirely new.

I'll talk to my university's administration to see what they'll need to convince them to switch over, because that'd be ridiculously sweet. I think if we can get some people to install Ubuntu Server, that'd be another good avenue to explore.

Beans
    Distro

The Ship-It CDs always look fantastic... better than homebrew any day of the week. This is where we need to work with the Marketing Team to see what can be done to overcome this feeling of "Unfinished work".

One idea would be to have a generic label CD-R created and order these discs in lots of 50-100. The generic label could be something as simple as the Ubuntu logo. To save on cost, keep the logo as a single ink color and leave the background of the disc unmarked.

One thing that can be done is to get a load of card stock and fold the disc sleeves ourselves. Take the card stock to printer and have them do the printing. We could limit the numbers so the first interested parties could head home with the custom sleeves. With the release planned for April, there is no way the Ship-It system could send out enough discs in time.

I am concerned there will not be enough events going on to really make this happen. I'm looking at ways of communication to overcome this boundary. I don't want to use a social news site until late Feb... there isn't enough information solidified.

I believe with the right method of advertising, we won't have any problems getting people interested.

One thing to think about is corporate consultation. I don't think it would be wise to have a new Linux user manning the events, rather an afficianado who could communicate on the level of VAR (Value Added Reseller) to any corporate entity who might be interested in the technology. Or even someone who could help with what is needed for a new startup business and how to save costs with Linux in general.

The one thing that should happen... uniformity. Everything available at one location should be available at all the others. It may be stretching just a bit, but what about a dress code for those who volunteer at these events? Stupid thought perhaps, but it may add the spit to the shine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Good luck getting uniformity out of Linux users.

Depending on how many LoCos express an interest, we may want to work with the marketing folks to develop a package of materials specifically for that day -- posters, perhaps a table setup -- again, using economy of scale to make it less expensive. It's too bad Canonical doesn't have a corporate office in the US! Montreal is close, but shipping anything still requires international postage. At a minimum, we may want to get a crew together to decide on a common theme and have each participating group develop their own materials based on the standard.

One of the LoCo pages addresses getting local vendors involved in installing and/or supporting Ubuntu -- an event like this would be a great opportunity to get those local vendors involved as sponsors.

Beans

I agree that now's not the time for social news to go viral. I mean, bringing it up at thte US Teams IRC meeting would be a good step. But if you're thinking about making this as big as I am, then we'll need to increase our numbers/reach a bit.

The marketing package sounds like a great idea. That'd help with uniformity, and enable teams to have a good supply to work with.

This is more inline with a release party than your idea for a bunch of install fests, but what if there was a big national (or a few regional) events where everyone could meet up face-to-face? Maybe that'd be something for non-LTS releases, as that has a generally smaller chance of being attractive to those that want a "stable" release.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

This sounds nice, but I wouldn't be able to go to it.

Is there anyway I can help over the internet though?

EDIT: Sorry for double posting, can someone delete the post I made before this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast