View Poll Results: What do you think of Propensity?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

7 63.64%
  • Bad

1 9.09%
  • Im not going to try it

3 27.27%

Thread: Propensity - feedback wanted

Beans

Propensity - feedback wanted

UPDATE on page 1

I have been using ubuntu for quite some time, and I have ubuntu installed on 20+ computers at one time. I find myself always installing ubuntu on a different computer. One of the things that I always do is install some programs that don’t come stock with ubuntu like geany, or miro. At first I had a simple shell script that I ran that aptituded (lol) all the programs I wanted to install. But soon that was not enough because different computers had different uses and installing miro or gaim guifications on a work computer, or a computer that will be going back to a client is out of the question. Another thing I wanted was to updated the source.list file with new repositories cleanly. And so eventually that shell script involved into a python program.
    I have spent a bit of my summer cleaning up that python program and the result is propensity (I looked for synonyms for aptitude) and now I figure its almost ready to be released into the public. I have uploaded both a deb file and the source to my website, and would love some feedback.
    Some features that I would like to add before I release it are:
    • I would like propensity to generate a standalone shell script that could be used to standalone install the package
    • Icon
    • Splash screen
    To sum up you can get the deb file here, and the source here. Thanks for any feedback you have.

(This was cut and paste from my blog)

Update 01: Click here for screenshot
    Update 02: I have been dugg.
    Last edited by earobinson; September 16th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans

Re: Propensity - feedback wanted

I Installed the program, and it looks great. It could use a little bit more polish though. I'll grab the source and see what I can help improve.

-Andrew

Beans

Thanks for the feedback, I know it could use a lot more polish, Its something of a work that just evolved into existence and for personal use I dont really need icons and message boxes and the like, so I spent a good part of the summer adding some in and will try to add more as development progresses.

Thanks for the feedback.

Beans

Voted "good".

Good idea- especially like the idea of exporting to a bash script. Could use a bit of a pretty-up.

Don't do a splash-screen though! I don't think it's required here...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexThomson_NZ View Post
    Voted "good".

Good idea- especially like the idea of exporting to a bash script. Could use a bit of a pretty-up.

Don't do a splash-screen though! I don't think it's required here...
    No splash screen, the load time is quite a bit, as for prettying up Im very open to ideas / icon suggestions. I really want to be able to export to bash scripts for to reasons, 1 well users could acheave the same result without propensity. 2 To help teach users about whats propensity dose so they can learn more about how linux works. Also any suggestions for programs to use would be great!

Beans

Can anyone answer this question? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=366720

Beans

Propensity v0.1.2.1906 — Now With an Icon!

It has been about a week since I released Propensity into the wild for your feedback, I have gotten a fair bit of feedback and received a lot of help. You will also notice that I jumped from version 0.1.0.1772 to 0.1.2.1906 well version 0.1.1.xxxx was released as a limited demo but I have pushed forward to release version 0.1.2.190. New to this version we have:
    • The ability to add your own programs to propensity (you can import them or manually add them)
    • A Propensity Icon
    • Cleaned up and much prettier terminal
    • And many other little features.
    As always feedback is wanted and bugs can be emailed to earobinson+propensity@gmail.com.

Download Propensity Here
    Download Propensity Source Here

Ubuntu forums propensity post can be found here

Screenshots below
    From Propensity

From Propensity

From Propensity

This blog post can be found here
    http://earobinson.wordpress.com/2007...-with-an-icon/
    Last edited by earobinson; September 17th, 2007 at 04:09 PM.

Beans

Re: Propensity v0.1.2.1906 — Now With an Icon!

Having huge problems with my blog right now, if a links broken, let me know.

Beans

Sounds cool, but it looks an awful lot like EasyUbuntu or Automatix. Are you going to add any features that set it apart?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

In gutsy you could install these programs and add the repositories using a simple html file using apturl.

Try it here if you are on gutsy: install ttb