View Poll Results: What is the best desktop in your opinion?

Voters
315. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gnome

182 57.78%
  • KDE

86 27.30%
  • Xfce

47 14.92%
Page 10 of 231 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Environment / Window Manager Preference/Comparison Thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Attempt fo a SERIOUS KDE/GNOME thread

Gnome has a great beat and you can dance to it.

Beans

Since you did ask for someone to address your points I guess I will.

1. I agree with you that KDE isn't really all that similar to Explorer. I guess because the panel is at the bottom by default, the file manager is also a browser, and some applications do more than one thing I could see how the comparison can be made. However, I think this just makes KDE more similar to Explorer than GNOME is; both KDE and GNOME are really radically different than Explorer.

2. This one I'll have to disagree with you on. While there aren't 15 different applications that do the same thing default KDE does come with multiple applications for one task (text editors and music/sound programs really). While this is not necessarily a bad thing it does feel like a little too much when some applications appear almost the same. I guess my biggest complaint about KDE (which isn't a bad one really) is that application naming in the menu is awful (at least by default). Some applications go by Music Player (shouldn't there only be one) and when I install Kaffeine it also wants to be known as Musicplayer (notice the lack of space and lowercase 'p'). I know I can change these with the menu editor but I just think these should never come up under the default settings. Also, the number of configurable options under 'Control Center' can be overwhelming, contributing to the 'bloated' feel. But having all those options is really cool if you want them.

3. KDE feels much snappier to me too. I can only think that the complaint about bloatedness leads to this complaint about slowness but I really can't see it. In particular Konqueror is like lightening at web browsing. KHTML is really fast and I wish there was a GNOME browser that would use GtkHTML (which is spun off of KHTML); Gecko is just too memory intensive right now.

4. I think the idea of KDE not being free software comes from the fact that Qt used to not be open source. Now it is and applications can be freely written and distributed with it. However, if you want to distribute an application but keep the source closed then you must by a Qt license from Trolltech. I guess this is where people have a problem. However, this is similar to the BSD license in that you can withhold source code if you desire; how come no problems there? I can only speculate that since a big company is making money off of closed software it causes some people to be frightened.

Hope this contributes in a meaningful way to the discussion.

ralph_ubuntu Guest

Just a short note on point 2:
    I always found that this problem was caused not by kde but mostly by distributions that think that it is a good idea to put everything in by default. As to the editor problem, this has been discussed many times, but basically there are two editors, kate and kedit and the only purpose of the latter is that it can be used to input text from right to left, something kate doesn't handle yet. (But again, nobody is forcing me to install kedit if I don't need this feature). Kwrite is just a simpler frontend to kate intended for basic text editing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

oh no! the beginnings of another war of the desktops...

pls could we all just leave it alone? pretty please?

everybody's got their personal taste in things, so let's just let the topic go. if you like KDE, use it. and if you prefer GNOME, just use it.

thank you.

kahping

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scoon
    Hey there,

Good luck with this one. People tend to be either strongly pro KDE or strongly pro GNOME.

To answer you question, I have been using linux since red hat 5.2 I started using gnome back then (v1.4) and just didn't ever stop using it for very long. I have tried kde and it has TONS of eyecandy. It was nice, but very distracting to me. There really isn't anything that GNOME does that I don't like, even spatial. For me, GNOME just fits the way I work.

scoon
    Wrong. Maybe you mean redhat 7.2.
    Redhat 5.2 shipped with an alpha release of gnome, gnome-libs were at version 0.30

Quote Originally Posted by kahping
    oh no! the beginnings of another war of the desktops...

pls could we all just leave it alone? pretty please?

everybody's got their personal taste in things, so let's just let the topic go. if you like KDE, use it. and if you prefer GNOME, just use it.

thank you.

kahping
    You say leave this thread alone, but even you couldn't resist to add a bit of your wisdom.
    Last edited by piedamaro; February 28th, 2005 at 03:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm actually rather agnostic when it comes to the Great Desktop Wars - however, I do continue to prefer (and use) Gnome. I've tried KDE thourgh too many version to reiterate and, while it is an excellent desktop environment, it's just too bloody busy too suit me. Busy - as in way too many icons, too much "eye candy", too many distractions.

I actually use the default Gnome desktop in Ubuntu - it's "quiet", doesn't distract me or get in the way when I'm trying to do work.
    "....I'm a user, not a programmer...."

Beans

Smile Re: Attempt fo a SERIOUS KDE/GNOME thread

It's all about personal choices that is the gnu/linux way what ever you like. I have been a gnome user since 2.6 before that I found gnome pretty useless but since 2.6 it's getting better with every new release.
    When it comes to flame wars I find them very imature and don't get involved in them it's useless. As for kde I decided to check out this little gem Vector linux and I have to say it rocks nice and fast and use kde as default. If you really like kde this one is worth a look.
    Vector Linux 5.0 SOHO
    They have done to kde what Ubuntu has done to gnome very nice.
    Best Regards
    Rick

HOW TO For People New to Ubuntu
    Registered linux user #347059

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Why is KDE such a sore issue?

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    If this does not conclusively tell you that they are screwed up when it comes to freee and opened source software, I do not know what will.
    I like this solution and think it's very fair, no screwing up in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    Useless. A bsd licence is useless.
    No it's not. It ensures that the free software community can carry on developing Qt. In that unlikely case KDE.org for example could take Qt and relicense it.

Beans

i personally love and use gnome and at times fluxbox. i am glad kde is around though. choice is good and to each his/her own.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I'm actually rather agnostic when it comes to the Great Desktop Wars - however, I do continue to prefer (and use) Gnome. I've tried KDE thourgh too many version to reiterate and, while it is an excellent desktop environment, it's just too bloody busy too suit me. Busy - as in way too many icons, too much "eye candy", too many distractions.

I actually use the default Gnome desktop in Ubuntu - it's "quiet", doesn't distract me or get in the way when I'm trying to do work.
    I actually agree with this statement - in it's default installed state, I find KDE to be a little too visually busy to work well with. I have tried KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Fluxbox and others (I want to give ratpoison a go sometime, but I'm not brave enough right now!) and my personal preference is for Gnome. I will try the others from time to time and may switch in the future if one of the other WMs make it worth my while, but for the moment Gnome is for me.

On a similarly related note: I believe that the Kubuntu branch is a bad idea. If you want KDE, you will probably be knowledgeable enough to install it yourself. One of the strengths of ubuntu is that it presents you with Gnome by default and doesn't try to confuse you with other WMs.

I also agree that we should agree to disagree - these threads are as close to religion/politics as you can get!

Page 10 of 231 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast