Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gobuntu free software??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Gobuntu free software??

Because I wouldn't have wifi and 3D acceleration. I'm not giving that that up just to be "free".
    Same here, but with the added bonus that I'm tied to mp3 since I own an iPod. I love .ogg, but nothing (good) plays it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have nvidia, but I know there is a open source driver for ATI graphic cards (radeon). So, it's possible to use 3d hardware without propriety software.

I've posted here that Gnash is an alternative to Adobe Flash Player. I did install GStreamer-ugly package from universe repos, and YouTube as worked very well.

Can anybody can post here some others free alternatives to propriety software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brentoboy View Post
    really, if freedom focus is your goal, use debian.
    No kidding. The Debian police are infamously hostile towards anything that is remotely non-free, etc.

Gobuntu just doesn't make sense to me, as I see Ubuntu as:

Debian unstable (newer packages) + all the non-free goodies = happy desktop distro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gobuntu? There is another distro with similar goals called
    gNewSense

in this mailing list, they say that gubuntu is better in the long run because there is more development power than gNewSense.

As for people who say that proprietary is good because it provides income to families. YOU CAN SELL FREE SOFTRWARE, the GPL allows it. in fact, it encourages to sell it, but always remind the end-user that they have the right to modify, make a copy, and distribute them.

Source:

What is Free Software?

Selling Free Software is OK!

Why Software Should Not Have Owners

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by epimeteo View Post
    I have nvidia, but I know there is a open source driver for ATI graphic cards (radeon). So, it's possible to use 3d hardware without propriety software.
    There's an open-source nvidia driver too (Ubuntu comes with it), but it doesn't actually do hardware acceleration. I have a feeling the ati one might be similar. The only open-source video driver I've heard of actually working well at the moment is the one for Intel integrated graphics chipsets.
    The good news is that there's a promising project called nouveau to create a decent open-source Nvidia driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sumguy231 View Post
    There's an open-source nvidia driver too (Ubuntu comes with it), but it doesn't actually do hardware acceleration. I have a feeling the ati one might be similar. The only open-source video driver I've heard of actually working well at the moment is the one for Intel integrated graphics chipsets.
    The good news is that there's a promising project called nouveau to create a decent open-source Nvidia driver.
    I've read about it somewhere, gonna give it a try, thanks someguy231 (I found their webpage here: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/.

About the folks that like propriety software as long it is free as beer, look at the last one from Sony. Take a look at the latest rootkit from Sony in this thread: Sony does it again - root kit. That's why I like open-source.

Gobuntu target is, like I've posted in the starting post of this thread, is to try to "to push people to use and give a push to really free software". I know that there are hardware that still need to use them, but there are alternatives to some other stuff.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stmiller View Post
    No kidding. The Debian police are infamously hostile towards anything that is remotely non-free, etc.
    Then why doesn't Stallman like them?

Please don't take this as a troll, I really don't understand. Stallman has always refused to endorse Debian... why is that?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I love Open source, but I don't mind using Opera or playing Savage because both those companies put time and effort into making the Linux version available and comparable to the Windows version. I also use NVidia drivers but have no idea how nice they are, just know that with some effort I can get the drivers to work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I do share the sentiments of the distro but I mostly desire just my base system and hardware drivers to be 100% free for both practical and ethical reasons. I wish I could help with the effort of making free drivers but I can barely do a small amount of bash scripting

But I can't imagine having all software, including user-space common apps being 100% as is nearly impossible. For example, firefox has restrictions on its icon, and Sauerbraten's code is GPL but not the whole game like art (understandably) so it would seem too difficult to have a truly free system. But I need free hardware because the only hardware that gives me any trouble in Ubuntu is the ones that rely on closed-source drivers (nvidia card and wireless). Also, flash is crappy and I will replace it with gnash when it is a bit more stable.

Beans

If you want software that "just works", an entirely free software system may or may not benefit you at all. When you have free system, the only big benefit is not having to worry about liscensing or legalities. Also, it forces you to find, modify, and contribute to existing free software projects, which helps everyone. Other fringe benefits include:

-the virtual richard stallman is much more fun to run.
    -easier to develop for more free software, when there are no proprietary libraries on your system at all.
    -you can learn more from your system.
    -you get into heaven automatically.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast