Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe acrobat

Beans

Adobe acrobat

Can we install adobe acrobat on feisty or is there any similar program that I can use to create pdf files?

Thanks

Lam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Adobe acrobat

The only one that I use for pdf creation is openoffice if that fits your need.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ntlam View Post
    Can we install adobe acrobat on feisty or is there any similar program that I can use to create pdf files?

Thanks

Lam
    To create pdfs in general, otuside of openeoffice and the few other programs that explicitly allow it, install cups-pdf. It sents up a pdf printer that you can use instead of Acrobat/Distiller.

Beans

Thanks

It seems that I have some options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

The next question then becomes, how to install CUPS-PDF .... I tried installing a new printer, figuring that PDF would be an option. I then installed CUPS Printer Manager, figuring that would have it as an option, and it doesn't.

Finally, I went to the synaptic package manager, where cups-pdf is a package one can install. I did that.

When you print to the cups-pdf, you must check the little box that make the system save it as a file. Unlike Adobe Acrobat, it doesn't automatically do this. I have just printed one of the how-to's from the forum, using PDF-Writer (which is what I chose to call the cups-pdf virtual printer thus created) and then saved the file. I subsequently opened the file and am printing it out.

This should provide the ability to make PDF files when you are not in OpenOffice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MJWhiteDerm View Post
    The next question then becomes, how to install CUPS-PDF .... I tried installing a new printer, figuring that PDF would be an option. I then installed CUPS Printer Manager, figuring that would have it as an option, and it doesn't.

Finally, I went to the synaptic package manager, where cups-pdf is a package one can install. I did that.

When you print to the cups-pdf, you must check the little box that make the system save it as a file. Unlike Adobe Acrobat, it doesn't automatically do this. I have just printed one of the how-to's from the forum, using PDF-Writer (which is what I chose to call the cups-pdf virtual printer thus created) and then saved the file. I subsequently opened the file and am printing it out.

This should provide the ability to make PDF files when you are not in OpenOffice.
    Thanks

Did you send me a message? I couldn't see the content of the message. Even my old messages had no content. I dont know what's wrong with that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MJWhiteDerm View Post

It doesn't need to be that complicated: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188860

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    It doesn't need to be that complicated: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188860
    I follow instruction in that thread but it did not work.
    As it said:
    # Open a terminal and tpe "sudo nautilus" and then your password
    # Go to Filesystem -> usr -> lib -> cups -> backend
    # Rightclick "cups-pdf" and select Properties
    # Go to the Permissions tab and click the "Set user ID" special flag

I did not see "set user ID" when doing that.

Beans

I already installed cups-pdf but it doesnt seem to exist when I test printing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ntlam View Post
    I already installed cups-pdf but it doesnt seem to exist when I test printing.
    I would suggest posting on the HOWTO thread instead of here (or at least in addition), as you are more likely to find someone who can help you troubleshoot. Regarding the permissions issue, there is a way to change which set of options Nautilus displays for setting permissions, but it escapes me at the moment (possibly using gconf-editor). An alternative method to what you copied above is to just open a terminal, navigate to that directory, and type
    Code:
    su chmod +s cups-pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast