Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Distribution Bubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: New Distribution Bubuntu

Check out the Tutorials and Tips forums, Everyone can have their own Distro.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=688872

If you just want a list of Programs you can install at once. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366

ISO Master is in the repos and can be used to make your own Distro, KISO is another one for KDE users.
    My 12 Year old has his own Distro.
    Have fun with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by s26c.sayan View Post
    How 'bout calling these "new distros" based off others as Distrolets ?

Like I call my March Linux as a distrolet of Arch.....However, Arch Linux itself is much more flexible by design than ubuntu, so I've to do a bit more than just package selections!
    So Ubuntu is a distrolet of Debian?

Beans

Live and let live, these people who make these spin off distros are having fun and learning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Maybe it's just me . I don't understand the need to make a "special" distro of something that already exists, (Ubuntu).

M.
    Hate Coffee, Love Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well one good reason to make a spin-off is because you need to configure your machine in specific ways, and others are interested in similar customizations. For example, Ubuntu Studio is optimized with a real-time kernel and with packages configured to work together for producing multimedia, sound, grahics, etc. You don't need to download the iso for ubuntu studio to use the packages -- I prefered to install regular ubuntu and then download their kernel and effects/music packages. Their efforts make it a bit easier to see what's out there for multimedia in the Ubuntu repositories, also.

Similarly, it seems many would be interested in a meta-package which could be coupled with the minimal install, something like a "damn small Ubuntu", even quicker and leaner than Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

It also has a way of bringing new stuff into the Ubuntu Repo's. if an app works out well in the spinoff Distro's and proves stable it will work it's way upstream, all the way back to Debian eventually even if the spinoff itself dies out. That's the great thing about Freedom, the ability to advance mankind one step at a time, you can't do that if you are forbidden to use someone elses work and add to it. That is why we have FOSS. We need to incourage choice not discourage it. OH crap, I just sprained my ankle getting off my soapbox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    it looks nice, but what does the b stand for in bubuntu?

How do you make you own version of ubuntu?
    I want to maky my own
    /b/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict View Post
    There is absolutely zero need to distribute this and is a waste of time to do so.
    im sorry but i agree i see no differences in this ubuntu based distribution and normal ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    Live and let live, these people who make these spin off distros are having fun and learning.
    + 1k

Who cares about people's arrogant attitudes regarding what other people should or should not be allowed to do?

We all do, when those arrogant attitudes are directed at us, most especially when they have an effect on our freedoms.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234