Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft buys Swedish vote on OOXML

Beans
    Hidden!

Microsoft buys Swedish vote on OOXML

The moral of this story: If you can`t beat them, buy them...

"As bad as it sound it currently looks like that the vote that took place at the SIS, Swedish Standards Institute, was a total joke due to the facts that 23 new companies applied to take part of today's voting and most of them in favour of Microsoft agenda.

One would think that SIS would not accept new companies to participate in the vote since they haven't been part of the earlier discussions and meetings. But according to SIS they didn't see any problem that new companies wanted to take part in this vote without prior notice. So what happened here is that Microsoft gather together a bunch of loyal partners that would vote yes to their standard without any questions.

How to buy an ISO
    To be able to vote all you need is to pay the membership fee to SIS and the total cost for this was 17.000 SEK (2444 USD). Of the 23 new companies that showed up this last minute and where the majority hasn't shown any earlier interest, only Google has a clear agenda regarding OOXML and they are against it. Following companies showed just before the meeting started:

Camako Data AB (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Connecta AB (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Cornerstone Sweden AB (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Cybernetics (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Emric AB, Exor AB (Microsoft Certified Partner), Fishbone Systems AB (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Formpipe Software (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), FS System AB, Google, HP (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), IBizkit AB (Microsoft Certified Partner), IDE Nätverkskonsulterna (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), IT-Vision AB, Know IT (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Modul1 (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Nordic Station AB (Microsoft Certified Partner), ReadSoft AB (Microsoft Certified Partner), Sogeti (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Solid Park AB (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), SourceTech AB, Strand Interconnect AB (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner) and TietoEnator (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner)

The final result was 25 Yes, 6 No and 3 Abs and this would from the start be a done deal of saying No!

Jonas Bosson who participated in today's meeting on behalf on FFII said that he left the meeting in protest and so did also IBM's Swedish local representative Johan Westman.

The Swedish NO OOXML Section can be found here and an old posting about the topic can be found here and the is an active forum thread as well here. Also SIS press release can be found here (Swedish).

Update: FFII Sweden's press release can be found here (Swedish)."

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14868/1/

Beans

Re: Microsoft buys Swedish vote on OOXML

That's disgusting. The Swedish Standards Institute is a disgrace.
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Beans

Sigh... I for one will not follow my country's standards then, I don't know enough about ooxml/odf/... to have a clear opinion, but even so, the way this was won makes me cringe and refuse it on principle.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by OffHand View Post
    That's disgusting. The Swedish Standards Institute is a disgrace.
    Agreed. This however is happening everywhere from what I read. Microsoft is getting it's corporate allies and even bribing neutrals/others to join these boards at the last minute and vote their way. It's shameful and clearly illustrates the lack of thought that went into these committees rules... the biggest joke is they haven't always won even when they did flood the boards. For instance I believe both Brazil and India voted no.

It's shameful, might as well just fold up these standards committees and give Microsoft carte blanch with their formats.

Quote Originally Posted by red_Marvin View Post
    Sigh... I for one will not follow my country's standards then, I don't know enough about ooxml/odf/... to have a clear opinion, but even so, the way this was won makes me cringe and refuse it on principle.
    There is an excellent (and brief) explanation of the issue, and the implications for developing nations, here:

http://ghanageek.wordpress.com/2007/...hy-it-matters/

Quote Originally Posted by starcraft.man View Post
    The biggest joke is they haven't always won even when they did flood the boards. For instance I believe both Brazil and India voted no. ...
    That would be good news.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!

So much for the myth that Europe is somehow less corrupt than the USA.
    It's all about people

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrixski View Post
    Never heard of that myth. Corruption is anywhere just like stupidity.
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

unfortunately MOST of Sweden is TOTALLY Micro$oft-brainwashed!

goes for especially "normal people" and "people higher up and in charge of IT-decisions"

//swedish citizen myself ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrixski View Post
    haha, yeah.. Agree 101%!

Back on topic:
    This is sick! And i live in this country!
    I do realy hopes that this is iligal for some reasons. But some laws are so strange here, so it will not suprice me if not.

The total price for MS to buy the result was 374 000 SEK (54 718 USD), and whats that for them?

Btw, may god curse them when the international vote take place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by altariel View Post
    unfortunately MOST of Sweden is TOTALLY Micro$oft-brainwashed!

goes for especially "normal people" and "people higher up and in charge of IT-decisions"

//swedish citizen myself ...
    Ah, I was trying to get my friend who lives in Sweeden (she moved from the US after graduation back to Sweeden since she didn't like the US) to vote for the pirate party lol.
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast