Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Convert music CDs to MP3 using the Command Line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: Convert music CDs to MP3 using the Command Line.

abcde is simple and just works. I've been using this nice tool for a long time. There is already a post in tutorials section http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=109429 about abcde that I followed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for all the Help

I've gotten cds to work and rip! However, I still can't figure out how to tell ABCDE how to choose the first Database entry in CDDB like that example I gave you before.

Thanks again,

Beans

This is an awesome tool! One question: is there a way to lower how fast it spins the CD? It makes a whole bunch of noise.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rockstar View Post
    Thanks for all the Help

I've gotten cds to work and rip! However, I still can't figure out how to tell ABCDE how to choose the first Database entry in CDDB like that example I gave you before.

Thanks again,
    just press q and it'll ask you which database entry you want to select.

Beans

abcde is great, but i have a problem using it.
    just as sound juicer, it shows a wrong duration on all the mp3s i throw at it. is this a lame problem (the wav files have the right duration) or is this a noob-user problem (i'm doing something wrong)?

edit: the wrong duration only appears when i check it in the properties dialog (right click -> properties). In rythmbox it appears to be right
    Last edited by magiver; November 13th, 2007 at 03:03 AM.

Beans

I have a question about this. Everything works great except for one thing. The only change I made to .conf file was

OUTPUTDIR="$HOME/music/"

My mp3s end up there, but they are locked with administrative priviledges. They are read only and executable to users. I run abcde from my usr>bin file, which I know is an admin rights file, but I am not sure why they are outputing with admin rights to my home directory.

Any thoughts?

Beans

Hi,

I suspect I can see the problem:

Quote Originally Posted by thecrwth View Post
    I have a question about this. Everything works great except for one thing. The only change I made to .conf file was

OUTPUTDIR="$HOME/music/"

My mp3s end up there, but they are locked with administrative priviledges. They are read only and executable to users. I run abcde from my usr>bin file, which I know is an admin rights file, but I am not sure why they are outputing with admin rights to my home directory.

Any thoughts?
    Have you actually modified the file /etc/abcde.conf? Try copying the file to your $HOME directory and running it from there instead. That is:

Code:
    $ cp -v /etc/abcde.conf $HOME/.abcde.conf
    and I suspect that this might solve the issue.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Thanks for this thread! Just installed the packages and tried out abcde and it's splendid. I would have used the "Thank Andrew.46 for this useful post" button but I don't see any in this thread...
    I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule [Hey, how do I disable showing colon & parenthesis as an emoticon in my signature?]
    Now playing: Last.fm

Beans

Hi Piraja:

Quote Originally Posted by Piraja View Post
    Thanks for this thread! Just installed the packages and tried out abcde and it's splendid. I would have used the "Thank Andrew.46 for this useful post" button but I don't see any in this thread...
    Glad it all worked out . I had more or less abandoned this guide as there seem to be a couple of abcde guides already on this forum and I have already written a more advanced one on my own website. The 'thanks' thing I suspect is because this represents an older posting perhaps?

Another suggestion though to make your life easier is the program easytag which will fine-tune your tags after abcde has done its magic. It is in the repositories:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install easytag
    and is a great assistance for those who like their tags perfect .

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

that is just great....thanx for this how-to
    | Dell XPS M1530 | C2D T8300 @2.4GHz | Nvidia GeForce 8600mGT 256MB GDDR3 | 2x2GB DDR2 @667MHz |
    | Desktop | Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB GDDR3 | 3x2GB DDR3 @1333MHz |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12