Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Should I upgrade my CPU or my RAM?

Beans

Re: Should I upgrade my CPU or my RAM?

Quote Originally Posted by Fonon View Post
    Well, my Dad just bought me 512 mb RAM stick that seems to match the one in my motherboard, so..thanks! I'm trying to be a Linux gamer, so it appears I made the right choice. Thanks again!
    Can you see a improvement in performance ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Yeah, nowe my computer runs a hell of a lot faster.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post

...If the OPer works with Blender and does 3D rendering, then I'm on board: Get more memory. If the OPer dual boots to play Oblivion then by all means -- put as much memory in there as you can.

On the other hand, if the machine is something to type letters on, download music and send e-mails to an ailing grandmother ... no, I can't suggest spending money on memory -- or a processor, for that matter. Put the money aside for something else -- like a phone call to grandma instead.

Sorry if I'm being a stickler on this one; I just don't like to suggest someone put more money into a computer if they don't really need it. I've seen too many people buy more memory or a bigger hard drive or something else, usually to the tune of $200 or so, because a salesman-geek at Staples told them it wouldmake the computer "run faster." Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't, but without the need for it, I don't know that it's money well spent...
    I ran across this thread looking for something else, and I know it's a little old, but maybe an additional post would add insight to users with a similar question...

Though ram is certainly cheap, I have to agree with the above assessment. Comparing my Dell 530N, a 1.6 GHz dual core processor, with 1 gig of ram, to my second machine which is an older HP 512n, with a 1.4 GHz Celeron with 512 meg of ram, without the eye candy features ( I don't use them anyway), both work very well. Frankly, I don't notice any appreciable difference in running Linux on either box. I have a fast 10/1broadband connection, and any lag is due to the servers at the other end, not on my computers.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; December 4th, 2007 at 08:47 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345