Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista quiz

Beans

Re: Vista quiz

I would honestly use windows a lot more on my desktop (I play BF2142 now and again) if they would just do three things:
    1) Fix the ******* user system. We don't all have to be admins all the time! Why do you think there are so many vulnerabilities? YES I WANT TO ALLOW
    2) Get a proper mult-user environment. It would be nice if I could install a program using an administrator account, without logging off my user account first.
    3) Fix your goddamn command line. Being a Gentoo user, I come to like it for all sorts of things that would take longer via point-n-click.

>

And then for bonus, you could remove all traces of WGA and DRM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    hmm, couldn't get past the first question, nothing there i agreed with!
    Quote Originally Posted by dulbirakan View Post
    +1 here
    +2....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I feel sick now.
    Lose all your fears, they're keeping you down.
    Windows-Free since 2nd September 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I fear for the future of computing. On a very deep and primal level.
    Gandhi once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
    So you want a separate /home partition?|Ubuntu World Map|Linux IS NOT Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Beans

Fixing the 1st question:

What are the benefits of genuine Windows Vista?

improved user interface

faster pc performance

full protection from spyware and malware

all of the above

I give up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You see, I'm in a bit of a weird position... In theory, I have no problem with MS trying to prevent the piracy of their product. It's their software, after all; they do have the right to ensure that it isn't being stolen.

OTOH, the problem with WGA and other related technologies comes back to the same problem - Windows licenses are too expensive for what they are. Even the OEM version of Vista Ultimate will set you back about $200 (which, granted, is about half of what the retail box costs). When you consider the 90-95% market share MS enjoys with Windows in general, and thus how many computers out there are running it, that seems excessive and does nothing to help their image with many in the public that they are simply out to grab as much of your money as they can convince you to part with. If Windows licenses cost less -- say, in the $50-100 window for home users -- I wouldn't be so adverse to the whole idea of needing to buy a new copy every time MS decides you're not "genuine," which is currently the only surefire recourse.

I firmly believe that software piracy could be more easily dealt with if publishers just lowered the price of their products. (It cannot be mere coincidence that the most pirated programs in the world -- Windows itself, Photoshop, Office, and so on -- are also among the most expensive software packages generally available to consumers.) In the case of Photoshop, for example, which currently retails for around $600, Adobe could easily cut that price down to $200. Sure, they'd get less per sale... but more people that want to use it would actually buy it if the price was more within their means, rather than resort to pirated and cracked versions. This, I believe, would offset the lesser amount they would make per individual sale.

I don't have a problem paying for software. I have a problem paying ridiculous amounts of money for software. There is no reason, other than greed (on MS's part or others whose technology appears in the product), for Windows to be as expensive as it is. And I think Vista's slower-than-anticipated might be a wake-up call to MS that they need to start rethinking their strategy as it relates to treating their users... a bit less stick, a little more carrot.

Just IMO, of course.
    Last edited by TheKid965; August 25th, 2007 at 03:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    Could you Imagen the anti-vista quiz; duh

Microsoft haven't quite gotten it yet; in order for them to get me 'on side' they will have to stop trumpeting technical 'features' and start talking seriously about how they're going to fix their lack of morals as a business.
    What they don't realize (or realize and don't care) is that this is an appreciable cost issue for large organisations.

Up to now, large organisations used to have another license agreement and other installation media which allowed them to use Windows without individually 'freeing' each pc.

Some of those organisations are deploying PCs with automatic installation tools. They do not trouble shoot individual PCS. When one develops the hiccups it is just replaced by a working one and freshly installed. All except the replacement works quite unattended.

The new scheme demands an additional manual intervention for each PC which is freshly deployed or re-installed. The alternative consists in buying, installing, maintaining and operating extra servers which provide the license key for each machine. And afaik those servers do not work for PCs which are not connected to the corporate network. This is an increase in cost.

Beans

I'm sorry, but none of those things on the first question have been true for me at all
    Windows- The most widely spread piece of malware
    Help with Cancer Research - Team Ubuntu-Folding@home

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by TheKid965 View Post
    Even the OEM version of Vista Ultimate will set you back about $200 (which, granted, is about half of what the retail box costs). .
    Not if you live in China. Just the other day there was a press notice which stated that there was a new agreement between MS and the People's Republic of China which set the price of the license for one PC to USD 7.--

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast