Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Mag's Louderback "I may switch to Linux"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

PC Mag's Louderback "I may switch to Linux"

For all of you post about what does not work with Ubuntu, read the Jim Louderback column in the 8-15-2007 issue of PC Magazine.

He says "Maybe it was something in the water? I've been a big proponent of the new OS [VISTA] over the past few months, even going so far as loading it onto most of my computers and spending hours tweaking and optimizing it. So why, nine months after launch, am I so frustrated? The litany of what doesn't work and what still frustrates me stretches on endlessly...Take sleep mode, for example. Vista promised a new low-power sleep mode that would save energy yet enable nearly instantaneous resume. Poppycock...have to cold-start it to bring it back. This after replacing virtually every driver inside. It's gotten so bad that I've actually nicknamed it Chip Van Winkle...I could go on and on about the lack of drivers, the bizarre wake-up rituals, the strange and nonreproducible system quirks, and more. But I won't bore you with the details. The upshot is that even after nine months, Vista just ain't cutting it. I definitely gave Microsoft too much of a free pass on this operating system: I expected it to get the kinks worked out more quickly. Boy, was I fooled! If Microsoft can't get Vista working, I might just do the unthinkable: I might move to Linux."

Read it here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2170275,00.asp

So let's not think that Windows is perfect and Ubuntu is not! All OS's need work.
    Where Liberty dwells, there is my country -- Benjamin Franklin

Beans

Re: PC Mag's Louderback "I may switch to Linux"

so he says he's been up on vista for e nunmonths despite endlessly tweaking it and it still sucking. what's worse is he calls linux the unthinkale -- how ridiculous! i would take ubuntu over vista even if vista were free. where is the accountability?
    chuck norris can divide by zero.
    chuck norris can beat a brick wall at tennis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i say we ban him from joining our elite club....lol...j/k

i actually was a beta and RC tester for vista.... needless to say i wrote many emails to the windows developement team stating that driver issues were the biggest problem. I went out and bought a new motherboard that stated being vista compatable and finding out Vista did not support the built in Realtec sound chip, MS even went on to say that that chip will never be supported. That when I said I'm done.

If they wont support basic hardware because they deem it unworthy, I can't see wating my money.

Beans

looking like linux is a commodity, good
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    i say we ban him from joining our elite club....lol...j/k

i actually was a beta and RC tester for vista.... needless to say i wrote many emails to the windows developement team stating that driver issues were the biggest problem. I went out and bought a new motherboard that stated being vista compatable and finding out Vista did not support the built in Realtec sound chip, MS even went on to say that that chip will never be supported. That when I said I'm done.

If they wont support basic hardware because they deem it unworthy, I can't see wating my money.
    LMAOL! The only support that M$ have is $$$.

I seen Vista first hand and I doubt that I will be purchasing it anytime soon. To me Vista is almost like ME, too much bugs and it can not even stop Spyware/Adsware, etc.. like it promised to do. All Vista worry about is(Did you pay $$$ to M$?).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I remember reading that in my pcmag. Let's look on the positive. If he does switch to Linux, he'll probably switch to Ubuntu. When he sees how kickass this OS is, he'll spread the word out to the millions of subscribers in PC Mag. This alone can get a bunch of people into our OS, and then there might be Linux articles on PC Mag, as well.

Beans

He can stick with Vista if he wants, not using Linux is his loss. Think about it, how can you be a computing expert nowadays if you are using crippled software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Well, it does call itself "PC Mag" and should include articles about linux. They should change the name to make it more accurate to "PC Peripheral Mag." I think that's the issue I had with them. The bulk of the magazine was about Big Televisions, Ipods, phones, and about anything else that would hook to a PC (not much on PC's though).
    Some computers are like Slinkys. Not really much good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
    Don't be discouraged! Remember, an amateur built the Ark. Experts built the Titanic.
    Registered Linux User #434788

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Fonon View Post
    I remember reading that in my pcmag. Let's look on the positive. If he does switch to Linux, he'll probably switch to Ubuntu. When he sees how kickass this OS is, he'll spread the word out to the millions of subscribers in PC Mag. This alone can get a bunch of people into our OS, and then there might be Linux articles on PC Mag, as well.
    That would be nice, but this editorial was his farewell column. In other words, he finally acknowledged what a fiasco Vista as now that he's no longer in MS's pocket.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bobpur View Post
    Well, it does call itself "PC Mag" and should include articles about linux. They should change the name to make it more accurate to "PC Peripheral Mag." I think that's the issue I had with them. The bulk of the magazine was about Big Televisions, Ipods, phones, and about anything else that would hook to a PC (not much on PC's though).
    I used to get PC Mag back in the '80s when it was thick like a phonebook. I recently got a free subscription - out of the blue - and it's thin like a flyer. I've read maybe one article in the last several months from them. It's just NOT that interesting.

I have one of my systems still as an XP dual boot machine for video processing work. The advanced video editing tools just don't exist yet for Linux. When progress in that area gets mature, I'll drop the XP boot on that system. Linux software needs to advance in some areas, but the OS it's self is very good. I ALMOST never boot anything else on a desktop anymore.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast