Hi there,
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, but following a thread on these forums, I successfully managed to install and run my Windows game "Football Manager 2008" through Wine.

To enable this to work properly, I had to alter the xorg.conf file to disable the compiz desktop effects by adding the following:

PHP Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Section 
"Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection 
Then I had to restart the XServer by pressing Ctrl+Alt+backspace.

This is all well and good, but I would really, really like an easy way of temporarily disabling the desktop effects while I run my game, and then set them back on when I'm finished.

Your script seems like the perfect answer, but it's not working for me.
When I run the command to start the game, the script asks me if I want to disable the effects, which I say yes to.
The the game starts and displays the splash screen. After that though, it crashes and I get the following output:

PHP Code:
Wine has crashedErrors:
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bcnot registered
err
:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bccould be created for context 0x1
fixme
:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x10028 0x00000000
X Error of failed request
:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request
:  162 (GLX)

Minor opcode of failed request:  (X_GLXMakeCurrent)

Serial number of failed request:  1846
  Current serial number in output stream
:  1846
There isn
't an entry for "fm.exe" in the Application Database. 
This looks like the error I got when first trying this, before I changed the xorg.conf file.

Can anyone please help me as to how to amend the Winefix script to change the above xorg.conf settings only while playing the game?

Thanks.