Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu, the dark side...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu, the dark side...

Is anyone else worried, that because Ubuntu is so stable, and because you rarely have to fix issues, that your Linux knowledge is fading?

In my Windows days I would sometimes come across applications that suddenly did not want to load anymore, for no apparent reason. It was exciting because you never knew when you had to whip out your computer/tech knowledge.

I have not had to tweak or fix anything on my system for quite a while now, I'm worried I will forget my Linux knowledge (commands and processes).

Anyone else?
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubuntu, the dark side...

You could always install gentoo.
    Or get some new hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Well, it's clearly time for you to advance, my son, and take the next step in your Linux challenge.

You need to change distro (don't worry, you can still remain loyal to the ubuntu community, just not use it as a distro anymore), and go for something that requires more usage of the CLI.

Challenge yourself, try something like Slackware, or Arch linux, and see how much you can customise the distro so it contains *only* exactly what you need and use, and no other software.

Learn how to do things like write bash scripts, and then build your own custom IPTables Firewall script.

And if you *really* want to scare yourself, write your own custom xorg.conf, with no comments.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't worry. It's quite relaxing to not tweak s*it all day long and worry your parents will get viruses on their pcs

I have a pdf file with the linux commands... but i usually prefer the GUI.
    if you want it, you can pm me your e-mail address.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I installed Slackware on an old kit I had lying around.. Ubuntu is a breath of fresh air compared to that distro (talking automatic vs manual). But Slackware forces me to learn more and more, so it can only be a good thing. I won't ever use anything but the Debian family of OS's on my main computers, however.
    "The mind is a place unto itself, and can make a heaven of hell or a hell of heaven" ~Satan, Paradise Lost

Beans

There's a simple solution to that, of course; learn more stuff. There's a lot of things that you can learn, new and more efficient tools that you can master, etc. I bet there's a few workflows that you haven't yet discovered, that could increase your overall efficiency. Some interesting places to start;

- Learn to code (long term thing, obviously)
    - Learn how to build proper packages for Debian/Ubuntu and join MOTU.
    - Start experimenting with different workflows using new tools. There's a CLI equivalent for most GUI tools, for example, and sometimes the CLI version is better. rtorrent and screen (very, very useful) are good examples of this.
    - Learn how to triage bugs on launchpad

There's much more of course, those are just the things that have been on my mind lately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    Is anyone else worried, that because Ubuntu is so stable, and because you rarely have to fix issues, that your Linux knowledge is fading?
    I
    Yup, it's already happening. I forgot how I always used to get my sound going in Debian after an install. Never had that problem in Ubuntu.

I do think I have notes somewhere in the attic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I just dont know half of what I need anyway. And Ill need to know even moreif I want to do something in FOSS for a career :[
    My home page

Member of the Esoteric Order of LaRoza - Resistance Is Futile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here you may download the pdf file list with the linux console commands.
    You may stop sending me PM's

http://rapidshare.com/files/50632844/fwunixref.pdf.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great input everyone, thanks, of course there is always something new we can teach ourselves and I must admit I had not thought of some of the points mentioned here.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast