Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thank You Mod?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Thank You Mod?

With regard to the evil sudo rm -rf commands posted in various threads a while ago I just tend to think, that if thanks stats would appear in the people's profile section (as posted above) it would help new users to consider the trustworthiness... I mean a person who was thanked like 1000 times probably won't post harmful commands [of course there's always the option that someone else is using that person's computer or that his account got hacked...] but I guess you know what I mean.

One could also say that someone with 1000 posts probably won't post harmful commands either..

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    With regard to the evil sudo rm -rf commands posted in various threads a while ago I just tend to think, that if thanks stats would appear in the people's profile section (as posted above) it would help new users to consider the trustworthiness... I mean a person who was thanked like 1000 times probably won't post harmful commands [of course there's always the option that someone else is using that person's computer or that his account got hacked...] but I guess you know what I mean.

One could also say that someone with 1000 posts probably won't post harmful commands either..
    What about a forum member with well over a 1000 posts or even a member with 1 or 2 posts, and no thanks given. You have to remember new to Ubuntu Forums does not equate new to Linux.

You are inevitably going to have user who have used other Distro's etc who are new to this forum, and may have the answer someone needs yet they may have no thanks given or a low post count.

Do you cast all low/high post count no thanks collected members, As ones to possibly post harmful commands?

If anything you should expect or be able to ask members posting answers at minimum to explain what the commands do. Then you have the issue of those who don't want the commands explain ( they got no time for the jibba jabba!) they just want the answers so they can move on.

While I feel the thanking system is nice.Said system in the end should not be a gauge of ones trustworthiness or used to deter the use of members answers, As you are bound to have users who will not make use of the thanking system( As it's not a mandatory forum policy), and forum members who post helpful answers with low/high post count, and no thanks to their credit.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

I recently saw this change. How do I get a "Thank You" badge, and where is the rating for each user?
    My Top Bugs - Launchpad Profile - Wiki Page

Appreciate what the severe effort of many converging wills has produced.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

You have to press this button upon another's posting:

Beans

I like the way members are not rated . There are so many different people in this forum community who have different levels of expertise in different fields, and a great many people who would tell you that they don't really have any expertise but are just offering friendly advice. The randomness and triviality of the coffee bean system seem to reflect this.

Beans

Did the thank you mod disappear? I wanted to thank someone for a useful post but I can't seem to find the blue thank-you badge any longer (even if I am logged in). Does anyone else see it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by komputes View Post
    Did the thank you mod disappear? I wanted to thank someone for a useful post but I can't seem to find the blue thank-you badge any longer (even if I am logged in). Does anyone else see it?
    On posts older than 60 days, it isn't available.

Just the way the plug in works.

Beans

60 Day limit... nice, real nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by komputes View Post
    60 Day limit... nice, real nice.
    The plugin is not ours (none of us wrote it) and we didn't make that behavior.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    On posts older than 60 days, it isn't available.

Just the way the plug in works.
    Oh, that clarifies some things.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123