Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Graphical IP Blocker

Thanx a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been getting a weird problem.

Every other day after iplist auto-updated the block lists, my bittorrent connections got "clogged up" (sorry, but I couldn't think of a better term to describe it). Basically, the download speeds are slow, DHT is disconnected, and not able to connect to some trackers.

If I restart iplist (sudo ipblock -r), everything is back to normal.

This is on Ubuntu Intrepid x64.

Any idea? In the short term, I am thinking of working around this problem by adding a mandatory restart command into the ipblock cron.
    Last edited by chewearn; December 28th, 2009 at 11:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The cron script updates lists and only restarts iplist. During the restart all new connections are blocked. I don't know if bittorrent uses a persistent or new connection for every chunk. If it's the latter case it can cause a performance decrease.

If you make a restart (-r), ipblock does not filter for a few seconds. Therefore I would suggest to just forbid restarting by changing the line

ipblock is_running || PARAM="-up"
    to
    ipblock is_running || PARAM="-u"
    in /etc/cron.daily/ipblock

I'm assuming you don't have weeks of uptime.
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by uljanow View Post
    The cron script updates lists and only restarts iplist. During the restart all new connections are blocked. I don't know if bittorrent uses a persistent or new connection for every chunk. If it's the latter case it can cause a performance decrease.
    Thanks for the clarification.

The problem was, the clogged up state persisted indefinitely. To be more precise, I usually checked a few hours later in the day and found it has not been working properly since it updated in the morning.

It would appear that connections that have been opened before the update continued to function (account for non-zero download/upload speed), but no new connections could be made since.

If you make a restart (-r), ipblock does not filter for a few seconds. Therefore I would suggest to just forbid restarting by changing the line

ipblock is_running || PARAM="-up"
    to
    ipblock is_running || PARAM="-u"
    in /etc/cron.daily/ipblock
    I am not sure if this will work, because prior to last week, I kept the ipblock GUI opened all the time. That was when I first noticed this problem. The cron script said that if the GUI is opened, it update without restart?

Then, I thought if I don't keep the GUI opened, the problem might be resolved with the restart, but it didn't.

I'm assuming you don't have weeks of uptime.
    In the past, I have an extremely stable Gutsy box, which ran a personal record of 200+ days uptime . But six months after Gutsy EOL, I took it upon myself to fresh install Jaunty. Unfortunately, the PC go completely dead a day later. Totally dead, not even showing the BIOS POST screen. An Evil Jackalope has killed my PC! But I can't full proof it!

Now, I ran ipblock + bittorrent on another an Intrepid PC. I am no longer able to achieve more than a few days of uptime because of various reasons.

--

Anyway, thanks again. I will have to think about whether I could risk a few seconds of gap every two days; or I might make a custom script to shutdown bittorrent during the gap.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For the past 5 days (at least 5 days), I've been getting error messages when trying to update the standard lists. The messages are: "error: update of (level1.gz, ads-trackers-and-bad-pr0n.gz, etc.) failed". Should I just be patient and keep trying every day? Or do I need to do something else? Thanks!

Update: Doing a Google search, I found this for bluetack.co.uk: We estimate around the 1st of Feburary that the Bluetack site will be taken offline, and could be offline for at least 1 -2 weeks. ...

Does anyone have any recommendations for comparable lists from other websites?
    Last edited by bark50; February 5th, 2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: More info:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bark50 View Post
    For the past 5 days (at least 5 days), I've been getting error messages when trying to update the standard lists. The messages are: "error: update of (level1.gz, ads-trackers-and-bad-pr0n.gz, etc.) failed". Should I just be patient and keep trying every day? Or do I need to do something else? Thanks!

Update: Doing a Google search, I found this for bluetack.co.uk: We estimate around the 1st of Feburary that the Bluetack site will be taken offline, and could be offline for at least 1 -2 weeks. ...

Does anyone have any recommendations for comparable lists from other websites?
    So thats the problem! Just have to wait it out I guess...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

One cannot start the app when user is not a sudo'er.
    Can I make it autostart for a non-sudoer?

I have a safe user for guest usage and I want to block any and all advertiser and tracker crap. But I don't want to make that user sudo'er.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans
    Distro

If you enable autostart it will filter all connections systemwide. The GUI however doesn't need to run at all. But it requires root rights.
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ah thanks. Yeah I see it running in top. I needed to reboot. Now a lot of advertisements are blocked! I kind of miss some of them.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans
    Distro

A new version is out:
    * release (0.28 )
    * fixed debian ifup script
    * added GUI watchdog
    * Improved GUI log routines
    * Reduced GUI memory usage
    * added IP counter