Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Internet Explorer 6SP1 and Wine

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Internet Explorer 6SP1 and Wine

Quote Originally Posted by Curufir
    Fix this by using 'export SFMIRROR="http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/"' on the command line (This one works, use one geographically closer if it doesn't).
    I have installed the packages, but i have not understand where to do the fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Curufir
    Now type 'wt2' on the command line.

Accept all the defaults and then run through each step in the 'Base Setup' menu (English or German, choose one and stick to it). This will leave you with IE6 installed. Exit the Winetools application.

Winetools installs a nice link to start IE6 in ~/bin. This is handy, but ~/bin isn't in a default Ubuntu path.

To fix this edit ~/.bashrc and add this to the end of the file.

# Prepend ~/bin to PATH if it exists
    if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
    PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
    fi
    At this point the wine configuration suggest the installation of winsetupdpkg (or similar..). I have installed it, but, after, i have not found the ~/bin directory with the link. What it is my error? Thank you and excuse me for my english language. Ciao
    Andrea - ITALIA

I understand what you mean--although IE is NOT standards-compliant, it undisputedly has a significant (in fact, the majority) of browser share today. At one point a claim was made that it had about 90% of the share. Either way the spirit of the how-to is effectively communicated in that IE has most users deadlocked. And sometimes you have to write pages in order to be IE-friendly... Thanks for the excellent how-to! As soon as I get my Ubuntu back up and running (I'm a distro wh0re and ashamed to say I tried some different distributions--but, as always I'm back to Ubuntu) I'll give it a try!
    Last edited by slade_slater; August 1st, 2005 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typos

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abmcr
    I have installed the packages, but i have not understand where to do the fixing
    winetools (Which is the utility that supplies the wt2 command) uses the environment variable SFMIRROR when determining which sourceforge mirror to download some files from. If the variable isn't present it tries to use a default site which is not currently working.

export SFMIRROR="http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/"

Will set the SFMIRROR environment variable for a specific terminal session only, so use wt2 from the same terminal you set the variable in.

That mirror is currently working, so wt2 will be able to download the files it needs.

At this point the wine configuration suggest the installation of winsetupdpkg (or similar..). I have installed it, but, after, i have not found the ~/bin directory with the link. What it is my error? Thank you and excuse me for my english language. Ciao
    Shared blame on the error. I never said that you should let Winetools do the configuration instead of Wine. I've updated the HOWTO accordingly.
    Last edited by Curufir; August 1st, 2005 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

Sorry to interfere your little argument but lets get back to the thread shall we... any way, your howto doesnt do anything to solve the winetools problem of installing IE6.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevcart3
    Also, if you are already have wine, in my case it was the latest CVS build, and are having trouble getting IE to install from wt2 you need to try IEs 4 Linux, found here
    this worked great! (while the method outlined by this howto utterly failed...

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Internet Explorer 6SP1 and Wine

I followed the above procedure but winetools still doesn't work for me

The menu appears, then I click on "Base setup" item but happens nothing and appear again the menu.

Where I'm mistaking?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by franziski
    I followed the above procedure but winetools still doesn't work for me

The menu appears, then I click on "Base setup" item but happens nothing and appear again the menu.

Where I'm mistaking?

Thanks

Fixed! thanks to mr.google

winetools doesn't work when gtk-engines-pixmap isn't installed !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Cool Re: HOWTO: Internet Explorer 6SP1 and Wine

After tinkering with wine-tools for several hours & still not getting wget to work on any of the SF mirrors that I know of, I tried the sidenet utility. Worked flawlessly 1st time through.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevcart3
    Also, if you are already have wine, in my case it was the latest CVS build, and are having trouble getting IE to install from wt2 you need to try IEs 4 Linux, found here
    Whoa! IEs 4 Linux is awesome! You just run the script, and it's all good. One thing that wasn't mentioned, which I had to poke around a bit for, is that the script installs into a /bin folder of whatever user installs it. In my case, I installed it as sudo, so it ended up being in /root/bin/ie6. I had to create a symbolic link from /root/bin/ie6 to /usr/bin/ to get it to run as a regular program.

Awesome, though--awesome. Thanks for the link!

Beans

Hi,
    I'm trying to get startet ie6 on my Ubuntu 5.10, because i'm an web-developer and i need to test it with this crappy browser....

so i was trying several howtos from the net and all of them, as well like with this howto, has an error:

when i start winetools i get in the console a list of Gtk-WARNINGs like this:
    Code:
    Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path: "libpixmap.so",
    after that Winetools starts but i cant enter any issue like BaseSetup, even About doesnt work, it seems like entering but then it shows the main menu again.
    please help me... google hasnt helped me

but I'm stupid. sorry you already gave me the answer. probably i will help somebody who is searching for this error message:
    you just have to install gtk-engines-pixmap (sudo apt-get install gtk-engines-pixmap)
    Last edited by Rubin-Rah; February 12th, 2006 at 01:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12