Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Alaska LoCo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu Alaska LoCo

What's up my fellow Alaskan geeks? I'm rob. Been using Linux and Ubuntu for over a year now, and been in Alaska 6 months of that. I'm currently living in Anchorage, am fairly savvy, and willing to help both online and in person if your in the area and need a hand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am about to join, but it doesn't look like there is much activity whatsoever, IRC or otherwise.

What are the plans exactly? I know there are obviously many users across the state, but what about Anchorage? Shouldn't there be a decent following by now?

I think this needs to get going and we need to be doing SOMETHING to get Ubuntu out there.

Hardy Heron is what's going to really shoot Ubuntu past everyone else, and get it's name known for good, at least in my opinion, and I most definitely think we can help with a decent AK street team.

I'm willing to do anything this takes, and if there isn't much progress soon, I would love to take over and oversee the whole thing as I have plenty of time to spare.

Hope to hear from you all!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi everyone,

Seems like there has been a bit of activity on here. I'd like to give a brief synopsis of what's been going on. In short not a whole lot. All the online resources are in place. I have tried advertising on the groups section of Craigslist (that seems to be very popular in this town) but didn't get any responses... I guess I would like to poll everyone to get some idea of what we can do to get the group out in the public eye and get it rolling in real life. Ideas?

jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I say we meet at a public location such as a coffee shop, dressed in Ubuntu shirts, showing off our laptops, explaining the Linux philosophy and the impact it could have, all while handing out CD's.

I've been wanting to throw something like this for awhile now, and it would be great to get some help. I already have 2 friends interested in being involved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I could do all that, accept I don't own an ubuntu shirt and I use a Mac Book Pro as my primary mobile machine. But I am up for coffee and I did request 25 CD's for the group.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmmm...I'm not flying to Anchorage just to have coffee!!!

It's good to see others are waking up to the open-source community though!!!

I've been fooling around with Ubuntu for about a year now, but I'm in between laptops.

Greetings to all!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello, Geeks! Figured I'd chime in here. New to Ubuntu; not exactly new to Linux. I'm in Anchorage. Running 8.04 with KDE4 on a Gateway laptop, but Gnome is my primary desktop until a few kinks get worked out of K. The desktop at home, "mom's computer" runs 7.10 with Edubuntu and dual-boots XPsp2. Next step: a virtual machine of XP.

Used to admin OS/2 LAN Server back in the mid-90s and played with Slackware back then, but didn't have the right hardware or energy to devote to Linux operation at the time. I've used Slackware, openSUSE, Mandake, and Mandriva. Settled on Ubuntu because it just works.

I don't use Linux because I'm a GNU or open source zealot. Thats all a bonus. The "Linux philosophy" and "changing the world" is for Stallman, not me. I use Ubuntu because its stable and it works. Ubuntu is less hassle to install, administer, and use, than XP. It sells itself. It just works. Its easy to use, and like my wife commented after she saw all the stuff I'd installed from Synaptic "all that stuff is free"? Yup, free. And legal.

So, I'm happy to get together and show off laptops. But I'd be just as happy to get together and talk shop over some fishing. Alaskan first, Geek second.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Dave,

Nice to Meet you. I am a Trusted Solaris Geek by trade, and like to share the OS knoweledge around, So I run a Mac Laptop and an Ubuntu Desktop at home. You would be suprised how similar all three os's are. Still up for coffee if anyone is interested. My Sched is kinda tight right now, Just bought a home and getting ready to head out of the country for a vacation but will be back in a week or so.

Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Been having trouble with a stupid error since upgrading to 8.04. Gets worse with every reboot. Basically, 8.04 seems to default to installing an ica client (Citrix client) that takes over ports 5800/5900. Can't seem to get rid of it. Seems to be part of the Edubuntu software, not the stock Ubuntu. Have been so frustrated in trying to get rid of the error that I just finished a complete 8.04 reinstall from scratch on mom's computer.

The problem disappeared or corrected itself by the expedient of NOT installing Edubuntu. Just snagged the specific games that I wanted the kids to have access to. Probably have to do this all over again to get my laptop working right again.

Now installing VirtualBox (thanks, Sun!) on it so she can have direct access to XP, but vboxusers won't include the accounts for the kids.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu Alaska LoCo

Quote Originally Posted by AK Dave View Post
    Been having trouble with a stupid error since upgrading to 8.04. Gets worse with every reboot. Basically, 8.04 seems to default to installing an ica client (Citrix client) that takes over ports 5800/5900. Can't seem to get rid of it. Seems to be part of the Edubuntu software, not the stock Ubuntu. Have been so frustrated in trying to get rid of the error that I just finished a complete 8.04 reinstall from scratch on mom's computer.

The problem disappeared or corrected itself by the expedient of NOT installing Edubuntu. Just snagged the specific games that I wanted the kids to have access to. Probably have to do this all over again to get my laptop working right again.
    Dave,

I have looked (and asked on IRC) about this and I can't seem to find an answer. Seems to me it should be just a matter of finding the package and deinstalling it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Jim (os2mac)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast