Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: starting a GNOME/FOSS-centered webcomic

Beans

Re: starting a GNOME/FOSS-centered webcomic

For an example of what picasaweb (I said picasa, but I meant picasaweb actually, which is the 1 GiB image hosting by google, you can export to it directly from f-spot) can do, here is a "reduced set" of my drawing gallery that I put there for testing: http://picasaweb.google.com/nekohayo/Dessins

I like being able to navigate with the keyboard arrow keys

Anyway, I tried making a pilot drawing in inkscape.
    • wow. it is weird.
    • damnit, it always always ends up so much uglier after I draw it
    • well, merging Mark Shuttleworth with king Leonidas was not so easy I guess. That shows a partial limitation of this webcomic: if we represent people from the FOSS community sometimes, we will have a hard time making them look real, no? (well, except if it's richard stallman)
    • I can provide the SVG file for this if you are interested, I doubt something really good could be done from it though
    • I'm not convinced yet of one way or another, but I think I will begin leaning towards the gimp as it seems so much faster than vectors. I mean, this pilot strip is not as visually impressive as I hoped it *could* be
    • on the other hand, this is my very first try at making a "cartoon strip", as you can see, it's quite chaotic
    • there is so much missing details, this strip feels empty. I guess I've seen a bit too much megatokyo and maliki
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I think I killed ghevan... Anyone interested? For writing scenarios and all that.. might motivate me

Beans

OH boy you mademe laugh xD. Im not death, just unnavailable to do something good. Sorry Ive got a litte busy with the thesis and the social service.

I was hoping more posts over the idea. more visual tests and all that.

Beans

Just for the sake of trying to define the style, I have drawn that same strip again from scratch using the GIMP. Result is much better so far, I guess.

I am hesitating wether this should be using color, or if i should just keep the comic line-art only, as it oftentimes looks better imho.

In any case, I figured out that drawing with a tablet in the gimp, although you lose the advantages of vectors, is much easier, because you can use the back of the stylus as a "real" eraser. So what happens is that you are not forced to do clean drawings on the first try: you can clean it up afterwards just like you would with real physical paper (except that it is cleaner).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I like the stye. its simple. just adding some dialog ballons and it would be taking more shape.

Ill give it a shot at some ideas, ill post them monday probably. :]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12