Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XServer 1.4 delayed to Gutsy+1?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Monitor hotpluging and graphical xorg configuration delayed to Gutsy+1!

According to this XServer 1.4 and with it X.Org 7.3, the GTK frontend for configurating Monitors and the Bulletproof X are being delayed to Ubuntu 8.04

Following a developer meeting this week, the decision has been made to leave Xserver 1.4 out of 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon and then include it in Ubuntu 8.04, in what is currently another eight months away. The reason behind abandoning Xserver 1.4 is that it won't be released until after the Ubuntu Gutsy feature freeze, but at the same time the development version (Xserver 1.3.99) is already available. Xserver 1.4 is what X.Org 7.3 will use. Dependent upon X.Org 7.3 is also Ubuntu's displayconfig-gtk and their bullet-proof-x. Unless the Ubuntu developers decide to make an exception or extend their feature freeze, Xserver 1.4 is out of the question for Ubuntu users until next year. Mark Shuttleworth frequently talks about wanting the major open-source projects to coordinate and schedule their release cycles with one another, but it doesn't look like Mark wants to play ball on this one by adjusting the Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" release cycle so late in the game.

The Ubuntu blueprints for X.Org 7.3 and Bryce Harrington's mention of Xserver 1.4 not until Gutsy+1 can be read on the Launchpad. Ubuntu 8.04 LTS may end up getting X.Org 7.4 with Xserver 1.5.
    Source: http://phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTk4OQ
    Last edited by bash; August 18th, 2007 at 04:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: XServer 1.4 delayed to Gutsy+1?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=52
    This does not affect XORG7.3, displayconfig-gtk, and BulletproofX
    bryceharrington the developer who is implementing Xorg and BulletproofX made a statement on the third page. Xorg7.3 is modular. Most of it is in. Really only xserver1.4 is being left out.

The below is all wrong and based on the incorrect information that was passed around. Thanks to ubuwu for knowing what he is talking about.

Yea it sucks but i see why. These are the moments where I really wish gutsy would come a month late. No need to change the name. 7.3 brings so many usability enhancements(that non techy people can access) that i think it is something that might warrent a bit of waiting.

So much work was done to get BulletproofX and DisplayConfig-GTK ready. Just imagine telling a user to 'open you display preferences and click on your second monitor to activate it' or 'kust restart and x will load the default solution'. Thats like 470 less help post/irc questions per day.
    Last edited by tehkain; August 21st, 2007 at 09:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The problem with delaying it is that it would cut into the development time of 8.04. Of course, deep down I kinda wish they would throw caution to the wind, say "screw it" to the feature freeze, and defiantly work it in anyway. One of the problems with Ubuntu releases is that none of the improvements are ever considered essential/release-blockers, and pretty much nothing seems guaranteed to get in. It would be nice to have a clearly-defined set of core features which will be in the next release.

I have a bad habit of looking at the Launchpad blueprints for whatever is the development version of Ubuntu at the time. Following the blueprints page is not unlike someone offering you something nice, and then them saying "No, just kidding" and punching you in the face. It gets kinda annoying sometimes.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I wonder if something like that would be backported? Might be kind of dangerous though.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, this sucks....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Wrong information sucks.
    Last edited by tehkain; August 19th, 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

So what is the exact information on this? I am confused by many different reports on what Xorg consist of,

Can we have Xorg7.3(and bulletproof/displayconfig) without xserver1.4?
    Is it required? I know some distros use Xorg7.2 with Xserver 1.3 even tho Xorg7.2 came with 1.2, so is the opposite possible?

How does this affect monitor detection without nrestarts(hotplugging)? How does it affect BulletProofX and DisplayConfig-GTK?

Beans

I bet you we are in for a surprise. It is named gutsy after all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

BulletProofX and DisplayConfig-GTK are NOT affected. In fact displayconfig has already been implemented and bulletproofx is being deployed.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelTeamMeeting20070816

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by tehkain View Post
    How does this affect monitor detection without nrestarts(hotplugging)?
    Not, this only affects input hotplugging, xrandr 1.2 (already included) does output, i.e. monitor, hotplugging.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast