Page 34 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Beans

Re: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhack View Post
    I'm not saying that at all. If anything Linux does more important work than Windows; running high-end servers and systems that need 100% uptime. I'm just saying that it isn't for everyone. Some people really do need Photoshop or really do need Microsoft Office; if for no other reason than the fact that they're place of employment sends them proprietary files and they need those programs to work with them and I don't consider WINE reliable enough for performing those tasks. Too many changes and programs that will work in one release and break in another. I just feel sorry for the poor souls who are trying to get work done on their Windows machine and they have somebody standing over them, absolutely falling all over themselves to proclaim Linux as the ultimate solution to every problem ever instead of letting people use what works.
    And Linux works, in fact it could be easier for people to stop dealing with viruses, and what better if they only use office apps. The problem appears when dealing with Windows-only programs that admit no workaround.

Fortunately, for me, all MY work can be done in Linux. At job I have to use Windows sometimes due to windows-only programs.

Thanks.
    Joe.
    "I've got the money to use Windows." "Great!, I've got the knowledge to use Linux."

Beans

Some people really do need Photoshop or really do need Microsoft Office;
    I'll admit that the MS Office developers may require a working copy of it, so, yes, I guess some people really do need MS Office.

And Photoshop 7.0 runs fine under Wine, and I've seen tutorials for getting CS2 to work [and CS3 will soon fall into line]. In fact, Photoshop has been gradually improving in Wine. Back when I first installed Ubuntu 6 months ago, the dialog boxes wouldn't resize without crashing and they were sticky across workspaces. All of that has been fixed. Seems to me like the only remaining bug to fix would be the splash image doesn't work properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsSucks View Post
    And Photoshop 7.0 runs fine under Wine, and I've seen tutorials for getting CS2 to work [and CS3 will soon fall into line]. In fact, Photoshop has been gradually improving in Wine
    In feisty, I never got it to work, but now under gutsy, CS2 works perfectly out of the box (starting it up is painfully slow, but once running, it's just a little slow )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhack View Post
    ...[snip] I just feel sorry for the poor souls who are trying to get work done on their Windows machine and they have somebody standing over them, absolutely falling all over themselves to proclaim Linux as the ultimate solution to every problem ever instead of letting people use what works.
    I feel sorry for the people who have to to constantly stand over relatives' broken windows boxes and listen to complaints about freakishly huge start menus, too many icons on the desktop, applications that won't die, programs that refuse to be removed, systems that won't validate as "genuine", and on and on and on.....

Being the techno-geek in the family can be a curse... in a windows world.(j/k)
    Last edited by hanzomon4; November 30th, 2007 at 12:27 AM.
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

The fonts is the lamest reason ever.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well, I've just read a thread called: Compiz Fusion is Junk...M$ Vista Aero Wins!!!!
    He just gave up trying to get Compiz-Fusion working with his card...
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaphodNE View Post
    Don't bother to respond.
    I won't...
    Last edited by santiagoward2000; November 30th, 2007 at 08:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it looks diferent
    Last edited by applehead; November 30th, 2007 at 06:30 AM.
    Paul Appleton

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak View Post
    The fonts is the lamest reason ever.
    Not if you're reading a lot of text. Some of the Linux installations come up with fonts that are simply frightful. They often look blurred, do not scale properly (come in two sizes: too large and too small), are unevenly spaced up to the extent of characters touching or even overlapping.

What it amounts to is that reading becomes much slower and documents are formatted differently, with text using more or less pages than in other environments.

Presumably, those problems can be fixed. However, some people rather use their computers for something other than fixing self-inflicted problems.

BTW, after installing Gutsy the fonts in Firefox looked quite decent. After installing one of the updates, it all changed, and now some pages are scarcely legible in Firefox. I have not gotten around to fixing that yet.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans

I tried to convert my mother once because she called me to fix her computer (again).

Instead of fixing it, I installed ubuntu, made it look like xp.

She only looks at the icons on the desktop anyway so, that was easy.

The reason she didn't want to use it:

no windows live messenger.

When I installed amsn (closest to wlm), she could use it, but then the excuse was "I don't want to use that "buntu").

I installed xp (for the 15426 time) and said never to ask me to help her with her pc again, and left. (i went back the next day, she couldn't figure out how to connect to the internet)

I just think most people are afraid of change. They don't know it, haven't heared of it so its by default not as good as xp or vista.

Page 34 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast