Page 27 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Beans

Re: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Crandom View Post
    ...text based like DOS.
    Technically, it is.
    If I am not mistaken, Gnome and KDE are to Linux what Windows 3 was to DOS (but much more advanced, of course)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

"I like the way my computer is set up, I don't want to ruin it"
    - My mother, who has a 3 ghz Pentium D, 512 mb RAM, running as if her computer is 40 years old, even when I show her my computer (which is much weaker) running 10 times faster.

Me - Arch GNU/Linux user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

so true...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by sci-fi guy View Post
    Technically, it is.
    If I am not mistaken, Gnome and KDE are to Linux what Windows 3 was to DOS (but much more advanced, of course)
    Have you ever used Windows 3? It's more like xp to DOS, although DOS was more fun. He thought it was illegal because the creator (unkown to him, the great Linus Torvalds) had stolen how to make and OS from microsoft as they invented computers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crandom View Post
    Have you ever used Windows 3? It's more like xp to DOS, although DOS was more fun. He thought it was illegal because the creator (unkown to him, the great Linus Torvalds) had stolen how to make and OS from microsoft as they invented computers.
    No, I've never used Windows 3. I have seen it, once. I make the comparison because both are, at their cores, basically a graphical front for a text-based OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"I like that glassy borders on vista"
    (It's like "It's shiny").

"Why?"
    (Although, this is the most hard to answer, there must be 100 reasons to do it, but none of them convince them to abandon their "windows nest").
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Can+~ View Post
    "I like that glassy borders on vista"
    (It's like "It's shiny").
    Install Emerald. With a Vista-like theme if they insist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Swarms View Post
    It plays css?
    Counter-Strike Source.

Beans
    Hidden!

The standard "I don't want to lose my stuff" excuse.

Of course, you can sympathize with people. We're in an age where computers aren't just something to toy with during downtime, most people practically live on them. Especially notebook users. I myself have mine with me almost perpetually.

ANY of the above excuses are just rationalization for why they're nervous to make such a big switch. It's like trying to get someone to switch wireless services or go from Dish to cable. Even if it's not perfect, people are afraid of changing what they've known so well.

They probably know that there are alternatives, the fact is that they know that their current system CAN do what they want, and they're hesitant to chance moving to something that has any possibility of not being able to. Y'know, stick with the devil you know.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lamest excuse?
    "Linux is too hard"

Go ahead and laugh, but I've actually heard that excuse more times that I care to admit.

Funny how my 8 year old niece seems to be doing fine in Ubuntu (all by herself) since Breezy was released.

Page 27 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast