Page 24 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Beans

Re: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbuff View Post
    i don't really know what's there to learn. i mean if you have a community like this, you don't really have to learn it: Ubuntu (or rather Linux) just happens
    My mom doesn't want to "learn" the change from the IE icon to the Firefox icon. Even though I have told her that I can change it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by sci-fi guy View Post
    My mom doesn't want to "learn" the change from the IE icon to the Firefox icon. Even though I have told her that I can change it.
    Do it the hard way, change her icon on her computer right now to the FF icon, she'll quickly become use to it.
    Linux User #455951|Ubuntu User #17976|Some Useful information about your browser
    HTML Code:
    <html><head><title>Hello</title></head><body><p>Hello World</p></body></html>
    PHP Code:
    <?php echo "Hello World"?>

Beans

She actually went along with me adding Firefox and making it's icon look like IE. I even redirected all icons in the start menu to point to Firefox. She eventually asked me to turn it back because she had the "Firefox cannot connect to server" error. She didn't believe that the internet was down because the error message wasn't the same as IE's. Even when I showed her that IE wasn't connecting either.

It also seemed that FF was running very slow, probably because it was a version specially packaged to run off flash drives and other portable media.

I am vaguely considering installing Ubuntu the next time she will be gone for several hours and applying XP themes to everything. But there is no way I could keep that fact hidden.
    Last edited by sci-fi guy; October 26th, 2007 at 05:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro

She actually went along with me adding Firefox and making it's icon look like IE. I even redirected all icons in the start menu to point to Firefox. She eventually asked me to turn it back because she had the "Firefox cannot connect to server" error. She didn't believe that the internet was down because the error message wasn't the same as IE's. Even when I showed her that IE wasn't connecting either.

It also seemed that FF was running very slow, probably because it was a version specially packaged to run off flash drives and other portable media.

I am vaguely considering installing Ubuntu the next time she will be gone for several hours and applying XP themes to everything. But there is no way I could keep that fact hidden.
    Use TLP to install it (Too Late Protocol)
    Linux User #455951|Ubuntu User #17976|Some Useful information about your browser
    HTML Code:
    PHP Code:

Beans

Yes you could to a certain extent. Just make her think that it's Microsoft's improved OS for a while. There was a guy who did that prank to his father a year ago or so, the website was degredo.net, but it's dead.

Hopefully, there is the internet archive! http://web.archive.org/web/200702032...w.degredo.net/

Now I will be able to archive it to my hard drive for long term retrieval

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo View Post
    *snip*
    She has an unnatural wariness of updates. So even if she thought it was updated, she would be upset.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

"It's not like windows!!!"

Which is funny, because that is exactly why *I* like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I haven't personally heard any lame reasons for leaving but I've heard plenty of lame reasons for not trying it out.

Note: These were said by Computer Science majors.

"I'm going to learn linux before I install it." (this guy recently bouht a book on linux and is going through reading in front to back without a linux install in his possesion).

"I want Sabayon, and that will take a long time to install, so I'm going to wait till the summer." (presumably because there will be no classes. He's telling be this as he reinstalls Windows, which he does every month to keep it clean).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by suziequzie View Post
    "It's not like windows!!!"

Which is funny, because that is exactly why *I* like it.
    exactly!

Beans
    Distro

I love how stupid Verizon tech support is, they always ask me "So you're using the linux version of M$?" I then have to explain to them about OSs and that good stuff.
    HTML Code:
    PHP Code:

Page 24 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast