Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1333

Thread: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatz View Post
    Kwin is buggy cumbersome and if you wasn't to go down the functionality of window management route, a clone of compiz-fusion. No more or less useful (buggyness aside). Although its good it supports xrender.
    No more, or less useful? What are you talking about, Compiz can't do half of what Kwin can... It isn't buggy, it has never crash here (since KDE 4.1). And... a Compiz Fusion clone? First, Kwin is a hell lot older than Compiz and supported Composite extensions (trough XRender) before Compiz was even on the horizon.

Compiz has just under 20 (official) devs...
    Source, I quoted developers (main) talking about their current situation, you pulled out that from your ***.

Well that's all user perception. Someone using wmii may think metacity is pointless when most functions can be done with the keyboard.
    The developer opinion about the project is a user perception, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

Well if kde4 is the future, Linux is dead
    You're a disgusting little troll, I said Compiz wasn't the future, but Compiz isn't Linux. It's just a ******* WM, like a thousand out there, it isn't the future of WMs, the future is on Kwin and Metacity (even XFCE has his own composite extensions).

Plus, my personal opinion is that KDE 4.x is, in fact, the future of the Linux desktop. Nothing against GNOME, it's just a personal opinion (based on a lot, but since this isn't the issue here I won't expose them).
    Last edited by LuisAugusto; January 24th, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by LuisAugusto View Post
    Source, I quoted developers (main) talking about their current situation, you pulled out that from your ***.

You're a disgusting little troll, I said Compiz wasn't the future, but Compiz isn't Linux. It's just a ******* WM, like a thousand out there, it isn't the future of WMs, the future is on Kwin and Metacity (even XFCE has his own composite extensions).
    OK, OK, could we please keep the vitrol to a minimum here? He's no troll, he's expressing his opinions, just like you're expressing yours. If you love KDE and Kwin, fine, OK, we get it. Personally , I love Compiz and it works perfectly for me, while KDE4 and 4.1 have done nothing but crash for me.

Plus, my personal opinion is that KDE 4.x is, in fact, the future of the Linux desktop. Nothing against GNOME, it's just a personal opinion (based on a lot, but since this isn't the issue here I won't expose them).
    And KDE/Kwin vs. Gnome/Compiz is not the issue here either. Please take the attacks elsewhere. I'm not a moderator, but I'm a person that comes to this thread for funny quotes about people close-minded toward Linux. It's attacks like yours that cause some to hate Linux and its community. While I understand the fervor, there's a line between defending and attacking.
    Why are uploads slower than downloads? That's easy. When you upload, the computer has to push the bits upward. When you download, the bits just fall by gravity, so it's much faster.

~/ ~/ on the range...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To LuisAugusto:

Take one before posting. Thanks!

Beans

No more, or less useful? What are you talking about, Compiz can't do half of what Kwin can... It isn't buggy, it has never crash here (since KDE 4.1)(what planet are you from??????). And... a Compiz Fusion clone? First, Kwin is a hell lot older than Compiz and supported Composite extensions (trough XRender) before Compiz was even on the horizon.

The developer opinion about the project is a user perception, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

If i am a troll, you are [SNIP], you cant even have a civil debate. Kde4 isnt even ready for beta yet IMO.

Unsubscribed!
    Last edited by Tomatz; January 25th, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
    Hmmm...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

"you have to use CLI".
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Tomatz and LuisAugusto, please take your fighting elsewhere. This is completely off-topic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GepettoBR View Post
    Tomatz and LuisAugusto, please take your fighting elsewhere. This is completely off-topic.
    Sorry, I shouldn't have responded.

Post edited
    Hmmm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm sorry, I have a bad habit of not letting things go. Tomatz, thou art vindicated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    Another open source project that underwent a big change was KDE with version 4.0. They released a lot of fundamental architectural changes with 4.0 and it received some negative reviews. As a KDE user how has this impacted you?

I used to be a KDE user. I thought KDE 4.0 was such a disaster I switched to GNOME. I hate the fact that my right button doesn't do what I want it to do. But the whole "break everything" model is painful for users and they can choose to use something else.

I realise the reason for the 4.0 release, but I think they did it badly. They did so may changes it was a half-baked release. It may turn out to be the right decision in the end and I will re-try KDE, but I suspect I'm not the only person they lost.

I got the update through Fedora and there was a mismatch from KDE 3 to KDE 4.0. The desktop was not as functional and it was just a bad experience for me. I'll revisit it when I reinstall the next machine which tends to be every six to eight months.

The GNOME people are talking about doing major surgery so it could also go the other way.
    Of course, like he said, it could change, and he would go back when they fix what's borked. But there's no need to defend something just because you always have.

If I've become trollbait (or a troll) for this, my apologies.

And now back on topic: Another lame reason for giving up on Linux - And one that was quickly corrected. No funny quote, but the basic gist was that my dad didn't want to find alternatives to OpenOffice, Firefox, and Skype (all three I installed on Windows for him). When I stopped laughing, I explained that the first two were built in, and Skype is a very easy install. He's happily using Linux now!
    Why are uploads slower than downloads? That's easy. When you upload, the computer has to push the bits upward. When you download, the bits just fall by gravity, so it's much faster.

~/ ~/ on the range...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by darth_indy View Post
    I'm sorry, I have a bad habit of not letting things go. Tomatz, thou art vindicated!!!

Of course, like he said, it could change, and he would go back when they fix what's borked. But there's no need to defend something just because you always have.

If I've become trollbait (or a troll) for this, my apologies.

And now back on topic: Another lame reason for giving up on Linux - And one that was quickly corrected. No funny quote, but the basic gist was that my dad didn't want to find alternatives to OpenOffice, Firefox, and Skype (all three I installed on Windows for him). When I stopped laughing, I explained that the first two were built in, and Skype is a very easy install. He's happily using Linux now!
    Are you aware that he only tried KDE 4.0, which is quite an irrelevant experience today, the rest of the interview was a hell lot more interesting, I like him, specially because he isn't a closed "open" source developer, he doesn't mind Closed source, he just thinks that Open Source is a better development scheme for most things (and he don't give a damn about "Software Libre XD")

----------

And... indeed, your father case was quite funny XD
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans

What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?
    It doesn't run FruityLoops...

So, I showed him RoseGarden, and Ardour.

He now runs Ubuntu, and is currently distribution hopping...
    ( o< -Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~ Cope57
    / /\
    V_/_

Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134 LastLast