Page 101 of 134 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1333

Thread: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Quote Originally Posted by darth_indy View Post
    I'm just brainstorming out loud
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/13144/
    If anyone needs real-time support, feel free to contact me through MSN, AIM, or Google Talk at buu700@gmail.com (don't omit the '@gmail.com' even in AIM).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

*embarassed grin* I forgot about Brainstorm. I signed up ages ago, but it lost priority in my "Check Daily" list. Thanks!
    Why are uploads slower than downloads? That's easy. When you upload, the computer has to push the bits upward. When you download, the bits just fall by gravity, so it's much faster.

~/ ~/ on the range...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by GepettoBR View Post
    His post was quite clear to me... he meant what he said: that if new users were greeted with a little welcome file that explained how to use sudo and gksudo, many people (like his father) wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Ubuntu.
    Well,that's just a repetition of the idea of a tutorial then.Probably wasn't in the right frame of mind that day.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, personally I have heard alot of different excuses. And I will not push the issue. If it is a valid excuse, I help them find alternatives and have them test it out. Kind of like test driving a new car. If it is a lame excuse, then I leave them alone. Why waste your time, they are stuck on windoze. I hate to say it, cause to me Linux, any distro, is better than Windoze. For everything, except maybe gaming.

I read in one of the post that it isnt a Professional working desktop, Have you looked around, there are plenty of apps that are professionally used.

People end up using Linux almost everyday, with out even knowing it.

Most cell phones, are running some sort of Linux distro, or at least unix. Most servers people connect through, is a Linux server. Most of your bar stool games, you know those ones you put maybe a dollar in, and play a game by touching the screen. That is running Linux. Alot of Professional security admins, photographers, medical, music, drafting, and alot others use Linux.
    Last edited by k33bz; September 14th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.
    Our only ignorance is our own intelligence
    Linux Is not Windows | Atheros 5007 Wifi Chipset Hardy (8.04LTS) Install|
    Linux user number 479043 | Ubuntu User number is # 24065

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by k33bz View Post
    Most cell phones, are running some sort of Linux distro, or at least unix. Most servers people connect through, is a Linux server. Most of your bar stool games, you know those ones you put maybe a dollar in, and play a game by touching the screen. That is running Linux. Alot of Professional security admins, photographers, medical, music, drafting, and alot others use Linux.
    Cell phones, sort of. More and more are turning to Windows and OS X based mobile platforms. All the bar stool games I've seen are all Windows. Finally, for the professions, most of them use Windows, even the security admin. What you are thinking is clusters. Macro-Linux clusters are lighter than NT based clusters and generally perform better, not to mention cost a lot less.

Beans

i saw in the you know your a stupid computer users when... thread a link to a blog...the guy blogging thought linux was hacker software and broke your hardrive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

"It has too many bugs" (Note that this kid is running a machine he got at a yard sale, and it SUCKS.)

"Firefox is expensive"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Mozilla Firefox (tm) is expensive? It does have a restrictive EULA and it isn't stricto sensu Free software, but it is freeware...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GepettoBR View Post
    Mozilla Firefox (tm) is expensive? It does have a restrictive EULA and it isn't stricto sensu Free software, but it is freeware...
    Tsk, tsk, another person who completely misunderstood the purpose of the new FF3 EULA. It's for the name and associated artwork for Firefox. Ie, the Firefox logo and just the name "Firefox" itself. Everything below the branding is completely open-source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Be that as it may, it limits repackaging and redistribution rights, therefore it isn't stricto sensu Free Software.

Tsk, tsk, another person who has no idea what he's talking about.

Page 101 of 134 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast