Thread: Carroll County Tech Council CompuKids Work Day - Advocacy Help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Carroll County Tech Council CompuKids Work Day - Advocacy Help?

The Carroll County Tech Council has a program known as CompuKids that brings computing to children who could not otherwise afford one.

http://www.carrolltechcouncil.org/pr.../compukids.asp

I went last time and it was fun, but I was slightly dismayed to see Microsoft Windows XP installed on all of the machines. I decided that the project could still use my expertise, but I stayed over in hardware for the day.

I haven't inquired about where the program gets its licenses.

There's another work day tomorrow.

Does anyone have any suggestions in how I would be able to advocate using GNU/Linux and Free Softare in such a setting, instead of Microsoft Windows XP?

One of the biggest issues is that every computer needs to ship with a modem. The lead tech said that the modems he was installing were real hardware modems, but I haven't played with modems in years, so I couldn't tell if this was going to be a software-controlled modem (aka losemodem) with drivers included or something that a Free OS would be able to use. I'm sure there are functioning modems that operate at full-speed, but considering the child's family can't afford the computer, affording Cable Internet is going to be out of the question.

I have a few spare hardware 56Kbps modems that my company was throwing away but they are harder to come by.

I suppose I could serve on the board as I do live in Carroll County, but I think there'd be some inertia to overcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Carroll County Tech Council CompuKids Work Day - Advocacy Help?

Hey - I'll be happy to help in any way - just back from vacation so going through ALOT of email at the moment, but planning on being at the next meeting. Watch for my article in the Frederick News Post on 8/21!

Matt
    Impari Systems, Inc
    http://www.imparisystems.com