Thread: Starting theme suite: need ideas...

Beans
    Hidden!

Starting theme suite: need ideas...

After having spent so much time doing other things (learning various programming languages, etc), I missed my art and have decided make a suite for Ubuntu.

I am looking for user input. What would you like to see?

I only have a basic idea thus far: the suite will be based on the colors of the new Humility icon set (primarily the brown and silver-grey of the folder icons). As the suite will contain a Medium high tech (yet readily usable) BMP/XMMS skin using the Ubuntu logo as a volume control (once again, just a general idea), I will *probably* call it 'Mostly Human'.

Just want some suggestions before I start. (for metacity, GTK, etc.)

(Sorry if there are no visuals yet, all my work thus far has been on paper - but I will post a WIP thread as things take shape.)

Thank's for your time.

-- UDSF | Tango Desktop Project --

-- openSUSE 11.3 / Ubuntu 10.04 --

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Starting theme suite: need ideas...

I just wanna see something different, something new. Not the same old uber-1337 or blue crystal stuff.

Also, you're starting this project relatively close when cairo will be released and ready for themes. Its probably 1 or 2 gnome releases away. Make sure if you do rounded corners for anything (or other similar effects) that you keep copys that are fully antialiased and alpha transparent ready for when cairo does come out. It will need themes to show off what it can do.

Can't wait to see how this progresses. Color scheme sounds good though

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey
    Also, you're starting this project relatively close when cairo will be released and ready for themes. Its probably 1 or 2 gnome releases away. Make sure if you do rounded corners for anything (or other similar effects) that you keep copys that are fully antialiased and alpha transparent ready for when cairo does come out. It will need themes to show off what it can do.
    That's pretty much what I had in mind. Not all of what I want to accomplish is readily available with the way GNOME currently renders the UI (can't wait for cairo ), as 'Mostly Human' is just that: Mostly a Ubuntu Human inspired interface with a small amount of 'techie' (if techie even applies) elements thrown into the mix (having an almost display-like quality for selected elements (selected as in mouse over) as well as the metacity - though I do not want to go overboard - I have a severe adversion to heavy eye candy). Currently, I'd most likely have to create multiple versions to allow for any level of color independance (not everyone likes the Ubuntu palette), making it a chore to maintain. Since Cairo will solve this, I'm all for a slower introduction of the design elements.

Having second thoughts about the usage of the Ubuntu logo as a volume control though (may have to make it a right side element, with the three circles as the toggles for the eq, playlist, and about box. hmmm...)

Does cairo have animation support?
    Last edited by darkmatter; July 29th, 2005 at 07:52 AM.

Beans

Sounds like a good idea darkmatter. The colour scheme of brown, silver/gray and maybe a third colour sounds great... I am pretty new to themes and metacity etc. but I still have a few suggestions.

About the window borders -- It would be nice to move away from the X [] _ style and more towards the H2Oridium theme but end up sort of in between. You might want to look at this thread: Thoughts on Ubuntu brown and MS/Mac blue

I think the default brown colour of Hoary is a bit too light. I found a thread on modifying clearlooks but I can't locate it. It basically told how to edit some colours of the default clearlooks theme I think. I think the highlight colour in Human must be fixed, I remember there were some issues there, but I can't check it now since I'm at work and stuck with Windows XP.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the suggestions, graabein, and the link. I was actually aiming towards a more vibrant and personal feeling than the currently available styles. The display-like quality that i mention in regards to selected items (buttons,focused text fields, menu entries, etc) is aimed at making those items 'come to life' on mouse over (making them extremely prominant) in an attempt to further enhance usability (most themes retain dark fonts on highlighted items, making them less prominent, and more difficult to recognize). An example of the this 'display' quality can be seen in the Longhorn Inspirat SE theme for windows (the toolbar and window buttons), and though that theme is typical of the 'cold' colors and design of windows. the effect is still quite noticable.

And thank you for pointing out the H2Oridium metacity. That amber is 'almost' the shade I was looking for. And I agee about the need to move away from the traditional window elements. I even prefer Vistas rectangular buttons to the traditional square/round that have been so over used. (they are even easier to target, just try the Inspirat port for metacity)

I'll start slapping together a 'prototype' for metacity later today (slightly rounded corners and the like) to start testing ideas (won't be pretty, just an evil hack job to start getting the layout down), maybe recolour a clearlooks for the moment till I can design some new widgets. If real life doesn't interfer, I should at least have a 'concept' view of the metacity ready to post soon.

It may take a while, as this is my first non-hack theme for GNOME, but I am bound and determined to get it done.
    Last edited by darkmatter; July 29th, 2005 at 12:57 PM.

Beans

Any progress on this dark matter? Like a screenshot maybe?

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy Re: Starting theme suite: need ideas...

Sorry about the delay. Real life has once again reared it's ugly head.

Hopefully everything will get sorted out shortly, and I can once again get back to my work on the theme as well as my other ideas for Ubuntu.