Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: howto find all non-default programs I installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

howto find all non-default programs I installed?

Hi,

I want to create a list that contains the programs I installed AFTER my initial Ubuntu install.

My idea was:
    1. Create a list with installed packages.
    ls /var/lib/dpkg/info |grep \.list$ | cut -d \. -f1 >> $C_installed
    2. Create a list with the dependencies and recommended packages for my version
    apt-cache depends ubuntu-desktop | sed 's/Recommends: //g' | sed 's/Depends: //g' | sed 's/ //g' >> $C_depends
    3. Compare these two files.

I've got two questions.

1. Am I correct in assuming that the output from my ubuntu-desktop dependencies is the list of files that were installed in the beginning? Or am I missing some meta-packages that I need to include?

2. How do I use diff to create a new list, that contains only the installed packages that are not in the second list?

Beans

Re: howto find all non-default programs I installed?

Quote Originally Posted by eentonig View Post
    Hi,

I want to create a list that contains the programs I installed AFTER my initial Ubuntu install.

My idea was:
    1. Create a list with installed packages.

2. Create a list with the dependencies and recommended packages for my version

3. Compare these two files.

I've got two questions.

1. Am I correct in assuming that the output from my ubuntu-desktop dependencies is the list of files that were installed in the beginning? Or am I missing some meta-packages that I need to include?

2. How do I use diff to create a new list, that contains only the installed packages that are not in the second list?
    1. You also need ubuntu-minimal and ubuntu-standard.

2. Not sure off the top of my head.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Apt-get and aptitude rely on a utility called dpkg, which keeps a log in /var/log/dpkg.log. This is rotated by log rotate, but if you installed within the rotate lifetime, you could just search the log files to find out what was the original install and what you've installed since.

Otherwise apt-get must keep a database somewhere - if you could find out where, and how to access it, it would tell you everything you need to know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

OK I started quest for acculturating people quoting whole article without thinking. Why you won't just quote the part you answered?

Maybe if we all pull, we will finish that september at least in one forum? Or is it in vain?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    OK I started quest for acculturating people quoting whole article without thinking. Why you won't just quote the part you answered?

Maybe if we all pull, we will finish that september at least in one forum? Or is it in vain?
    because some people click the little arrow for fast reply and also check "Quote message in reply?"
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by slavik View Post
    because some people click the little arrow for fast reply and also check "Quote message in reply?"
    How hard would be to **delete** irrelevant parts, to save all of us some time when skipping it, and leaving only the relevant part to which they respond? Deleting is fast, I do it all the time

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    How hard would be to **delete** irrelevant parts, to save all of us some time when skipping it, and leaving only the relevant part to which they respond? Deleting is fast, I do it all the time
    because the message doesn't show up in the quit reply box and there are 2 less pages to load

btw, sorry if this is considered thread hijacking
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

My "quick reply" does not quote, your does?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by foxylad View Post
    Apt-get and aptitude rely on a utility called dpkg, which keeps a log in /var/log/dpkg.log. This is rotated by log rotate, but if you installed within the rotate lifetime, you could just search the log files to find out what was the original install and what you've installed since.
    That wont do, because I want to use this as a base for reinstalling. But the original installation was months ago.

*** please keep your (justified) quote discussion away from this topic. ***

Beans

Any joy on this topic? I'm trying to do the same thing but I'm a total newbie to Linux, so ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast