Thread: PSP Official firmware limitations

Beans

PSP Official firmware limitations

I was wondering what are the limitations of the Sony PSP that use official firmware (I know that 'hombrewed' one have none). I recently ordered the new slim&light one ... Thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: PSP Official firmware limitations

Well...er...
    The official one can't run homebrew?
    And now you can't access files you've saved to your memory (I'm talking about saved web portals, that emulate say, Windows XP, or Vista, or Mac)

I'm still thinking about either downgrading to use homebrew, or using whatever official "new" features they come out with. I would eventually like to try putting in a small hard drive, and putting Ubuntu with a modified interface on it. Who knows?

Beans

Yes, I knew that, but are there any limitations on movies to be played, music, stuff like that. I don't think is possible to play games from the memory card either, is it ? Maybe they have some antipiracy 'switch' or something ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This page on Wikipedia lists all the firmware versions and what each revision added or removed.

The latest official version let's you do a lot of things. It's obvious limitations are that it won't do homebrew, emulated old games, and it doesn't play Ogg formats. A few other media it won't play, the official firmware is ok. If your's comes with 3.52 your out of luck for now cuz the homebrew exploit that downgraded your version has been patched.

Beans

Actually mine will come with 3.60. It's the slim and thin one.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by zgornel View Post
    Actually mine will come with 3.60. It's the slim and thin one.
    Right, that's going to be released this September no? They unlocked the clock right? They gonna continue updating the old one?

Anyway, it will still have the past limitations of most of the other options (like video/audio), I was posting that so you'd see what they were minus the changes in 3.60.

Edit: Oh and I just found a list of the changes with the new slim PSP.

New hardware features are as follows:

* Comes with Firmware 3.60
    * Faster loading times by storing UMD data in temporary memory.
    * Internal memory (FLASH) increase from 32 MB to 64 MB
    * Improved battery life due to lower power consumption, and battery recharge over the USB data connection. However the old, higher-capacity PSP battery will still be compatible and using it will give an increased battery life, but the battery cover will not close when using the old battery due to the larger size. Sony will release a High Capacity Power Kit with a bigger battery cover to fit over the old batteries.
    * Weight is 33% lighter
    * Actual PSP is 19% slimmer
    * A video-out port for displaying on a TV.
    * Improved responsiveness of d-pad[1] and buttons, confirmed in the GameSpot "hands-on" review; "several GameSpot editors have noticed that the d-pad and buttons on the new PSP provide a little more tactile feedback for a better overall feel."[2]
    * WiFi switch moved to the top of the console.
    * New UMD loading tray design.
    * Removal of the infra-red port, which was ultimately not used on the original PSP.
    * Speakers repositioned on the front of the PSP near the top of the screen.
    * Different area to insert Memory Stick.

The PSP-2000 models will use the same screen as the PSP-1000 models[3]. Prior to the E3 announcement of the redesigned PSP, many sites reported rumors of a redesigned PSP touting a "LED backlit, 200% Brighter Screen"[4] [5] This has since been proven to be baseless and false.
    Apart from the flash doubling and the tv out + USB charging, there isn't much improved, mostly things changed around...
    Last edited by starcraft.man; August 18th, 2007 at 01:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Regardless, someone will work on cracking the firmware, and getting a downgrader and whatnot.
    A guy named Dark_Alex used to do it, but last I checked, he quit. Shame...

Beans

I think that the initial PSP will still be updated, even though they might pull out a move of forcing people on buying the new one (which is almost the same as the old version). You mentioned the limitations for video/audio . I am unfamiliar with this and the reason of the thread: in order to play a movie/audio does it have to have some sort of digital rights signature or something or, you can play any movie ripped in a PSP compatible format? A link to a comparison between a cracked firmware and official one in terms of functionality would do it. I searched for one but never found it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    Regardless, someone will work on cracking the firmware, and getting a downgrader and whatnot.
    A guy named Dark_Alex used to do it, but last I checked, he quit. Shame...
    Hehe, you're right. Plus, the first versions are always cracked easyer