Thread: Bash: Getting a var from txt file, after certain exp + keep a command open while cont

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Bash: Getting a var from txt file, after certain exp + keep a command open while cont

I'm making a small script for myself, converting video, based on ffmpeg.

I'm using idvid from Tovid, shich shows output like this:

Code:
    Analyzing file: '/media/arkiv/video/musikk/el_caco/el_caco_-_a_nice_day.wmv'. This may take several minutes...
    =========================================================
                   File: /media/arkiv/video/musikk/el_caco/el_caco_-_a_nice_day.wmv
                  Width: 640 pixels
                 Height: 480 pixels
           Aspect ratio: 1.33:1
                 Frames: 0
               Duration: 00:03:33 hours/mins/secs
              Framerate: 1000.000 frames per second
           Video format: WMV1
          Video bitrate: 0 bits per second
    ---------------------------
    Audio track 1 (Stream 0.0, AID 0):
    ---------------------------
                  Codec: wmav2
                Bitrate: 192000 bits per second
          Sampling rate: 48000 Hz
    The output from idvid is a little more filled with useless crap, so I grep the relevant info, and put it into a file, zenity outputs this file like so:
    Code:
    zenity --text-info --filename=/home/ketil/.wmvtoavi/log/out --width=600 --height=400
    Now, I'd like to be able to pick out e.g. "640" after "Width" and "480" after "Height", and mash them up so that the default $aspect_ratio for this file is 640x480. Does anyone know how I can manage that?

----

Also, I'd like to keep having the zenity command given above open, while the next dialogs come up, and end it before the actual command is run. I tried with a while/do loop, but seems I don't really understand how it works. I've been scanning the abs-guide, but need some assistance in this (I guess, pretty easy) regard.

Thanks!

- Ketil
    Last edited by kwaanens; August 16th, 2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: clarifying...
    || My blog ||

Beans

Re: Bash: Getting a var from txt file, after certain exp + keep a command open while

Code:
    awk '{gsub("--height=","",$NF);gsub("--width=","",$(NF-1));print $NF,$(NF-1) }' file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Bash: Getting a var from txt file, after certain exp + keep a command open while

I might be very dim, but do not understand this. Running the command on my file gets me:

Code:
    awk '{gsub("--height=","",$NF);gsub("--width=","",$(NF-1));print $NF,$(NF-1) }' .wmvtoavi/log/out 
    /media/arkiv/funnyvideos/bikerack.wmv File:
    pixels 320
    pixels 240
    1.33:1 ratio:
    0 Frames:
    hours/mins/secs 00:00:29
    second per
    WMV2 format:
    second per
    0): AID
    wmav2 Codec:
    second per
    Hz 32000
    The file looks like:
    File: /media/arkiv/funnyvideos/bikerack.wmv
    Width: 320 pixels
    Height: 240 pixels
    Aspect ratio: 1.33:1
    Frames: 0
    Duration: 00:00:29 hours/mins/secs
    Framerate: 30.000 frames per second
    Video format: WMV2
    Video bitrate: 0 bits per second
    Audio track 1 (Stream 0.0, AID 0):
    Codec: wmav2
    Bitrate: 40000 bits per second
    Sampling rate: 32000 Hz

So basically, it stripped "height" and "width", and for the others, it removed e.g. "Sampling rate" and moved "hz" in front of "32000".

So unless I don't understand anything, it looks like it doesn't do what I need.

- Ketil
    || My blog ||

Beans

Code:
    # WIDTH=$(grep 'Width:' .wmvtoavi/log/out | awk '{print $2}')

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Code:
    # WIDTH=$(grep 'Width:' .wmvtoavi/log/out | awk '{print $2}')
    That one did the trick. I ended up doing:
    Code:
    WIDTH=$(grep 'Width:' .wmvtoavi/log/out | awk '{print $2}')
    HEIGHT=$(grep 'Height:' .wmvtoavi/log/out | awk '{print $2}')
    DEFAULT_FRAMESIZE="$WIDTH"x"$HEIGHT"
    FRAMESIZE=`zenity --entry --text="Enter frame size. Default value has been read from input file. Change at will." --entry-text="$DEFAULT_FRAMESIZE"`
    Probably could have been done smoother, but at least it works.

Now, my other problem, how do I keep the script from waiting at:
    Code:
    zenity --text-info --filename=/home/ketil/.wmvtoavi/log/out --width=600 --height=400
    until I close it? It's nice to have the file information open while I go through the rest of the process.

- Ketil
    || My blog ||

Quote Originally Posted by kwaanens View Post
    Now, I'd like to be able to pick out e.g. "640" after "Width" and "480" after "Height", and mash them up so that the default $aspect_ratio for this file is 640x480. Does anyone know how I can manage that?
    If you want to save just the numbers for height and width, the trick I like to use is bash's parameter expansion to strip off the section before the number and then the section after the number. Suppose you save your command's output in a file "idvid.out", then we can use grep to save a line into a variable that looks like this (including the whitespace):

Code:
    "          Width: 640 pixels"
    We'll save this line into a variable, then strip off the beginning (from the beginning of the line up to and including the "Width: " part, then strip off the end (from the " pixels" part to the end of the line), then save the result in a new variable called $width, and then do the same thing for the height.

Code:
    str=$(grep "Width" idvid.out)
    str=${str##*Width: }
    str=${str%% pixels*}
    width=$str

str=$(grep "Height" idvid.out)
    str=${str##*Height: }
    str=${str%% pixels*}
    height=$str

echo "${width}x${height}"

Sample output:

640x480

To find out more about bash's parameter expansion, do a search for "Parameter Expansion" in the bash(1) manpage.

----
    Also, I'd like to keep having the zenity command given above open, while the next dialogs come up, and end it before the actual command is run. I tried with a while/do loop, but seems I don't really understand how it works. I've been scanning the abs-guide, but need some assistance in this (I guess, pretty easy) regard.

Thanks!

- Ketil
    If you add & to the end of your zenity command, then your script will not wait for zenity to finish. Otherwise, bash waits for zenity to return. Not sure if that's what you were asking, but give ampersand a try--it is one of the most powerful bash operators.