Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I tried out KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: I tried out KDE

this morning I checked out the linux-mint distribution (in its kde variant), its default theme makes kubuntu look quite ugly. The things I didn't like (after the first 5 minutes) were the vista-ish windows and the double click set as default in konqueror. Besides that it's really beautiful, try it out if you have some time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
    this morning I checked out the linux-mint distribution (in its kde variant), its default theme makes kubuntu look quite ugly. The things I didn't like (after the first 5 minutes) were the vista-ish windows and the double click set as default in konqueror. Besides that it's really beautiful, try it out if you have some time.
    It seemed from reading the release announcement that it is full of gnome apps... can you confirm this? I like mint and would use their gnome setup over Ubuntu any day, but I am skeptical about a KDE distro full of GTK apps. Thats one amazing thing about Kubuntu... everything is KDE. They even leave you with Konqueror for a browser and not Firefox... awesome. I just wish they would ditch OO.o and go with KOffice, especially when 2.0 comes out soon.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

KDE gets in my way too much these days, and I'm too lazy to intensively configure it. Xfce seems to make everything just a bit more difficult for you, so the speed makes no difference. So I've settled in GNOME for now, although I have and could once again be very productive in KDE.
    Need help with CSS and web development? Drop by CSS Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Kde Rules!
    Thank you for the Baghira! I want my kde look likes a OSX!

lol
    Carles Mayol i Ricart
    Twitter: LitusMayol
    Instagram: LitusMayol
    carlesmayolricart.cat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been trying out Kubuntu through Wubi, and Wubi makes customization really hard, at least on my machine. Also, there's no way to install themes, at all.
    Either a file was accidentally left out, or Wubi's doing something wrong, or something.
    When KDE4 comes out, I'm going to wipe out my Windows partition, and make it a REAL Ubuntu machine. Though, Wine with Photoshop can get sort of ugly sometimes...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    I've been trying out Kubuntu through Wubi, and Wubi makes customization really hard, at least on my machine. Also, there's no way to install themes, at all.
    Either a file was accidentally left out, or Wubi's doing something wrong, or something.
    When KDE4 comes out, I'm going to wipe out my Windows partition, and make it a REAL Ubuntu machine. Though, Wine with Photoshop can get sort of ugly sometimes...
    I cannot recommend strongly enough trying to switch to a native alternative. For Kubuntu, Krita is the best. Not only a nicer interface than Gimp, but it handles things like true CMYK that gimp cannot. Gimp is also a fine choice. If you bought photoshop, you could try selling your license/cds to get a little back for them, otherwise at least you would be back on the right side of the law .

You can also try WineDoors, but I never got it to work. They have a repo that will install photoshop (and other windows programs), I'm not sure how they can do it legally, but w/e. If you do own a photoshop license then I would guess it is legal, otherwise not so much.

EDIT: KDE's themes aren't drag/drop for the most part. Search the repo's or find Ubuntu debs on kde-look
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Kinda agree on the names.
    As for QT you can customise your theme to your liking.
    The fonts are easily changeable.

I don't particularly like Kubuntus implementation of KDE and I think there are distros that do KDE better out of the box.
    and one of those that do KDE better is linux mint. i have never found a kde distro that i liked. until now. if you havnt tried it, do yourself a favor, and download linux mint kde. i may switch to it full time. and it comes with dolphin.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    It seemed from reading the release announcement that it is full of gnome apps... can you confirm this? I like mint and would use their gnome setup over Ubuntu any day, but I am skeptical about a KDE distro full of GTK apps. Thats one amazing thing about Kubuntu... everything is KDE. They even leave you with Konqueror for a browser and not Firefox... awesome. I just wish they would ditch OO.o and go with KOffice, especially when 2.0 comes out soon.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/cassandra-kde.html there you can find whats in. and yes there more gtk apps in . Thunderbird above kmail and the horrible tasty menu.
    http://forum.kde.org/ for all question about KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I don't know why but I just think kde looks ugly. It just looks like a windows wana-be window manager. I think gnome xfce and fluxbox is way better. but then again that is just me
    Last edited by ry4n; August 16th, 2007 at 11:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by ry4n View Post
    I don't know why but I just think kde looks ugly. It just looks like a windows wana-be window manager. I think gnome xfce and fluxbox is way better. but then again that is just me
    Just so you know, KDE was out--with its look--long before Windows' current menu style/arrangement was ever conceived. It just so happens that that was one of the many things Microsoft copied from Linux.
    Gandhi once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
    So you want a separate /home partition?|Ubuntu World Map|Linux IS NOT Windows

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast