Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: closed threads because "it was tried and failed before"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation closed threads because "it was tried and failed before"

This is about a discussion I started (and seemed I re-took from a old discussion without knowing it)....entitled: "does forums that rank usefulness of responses work better"?

And it got closed because such administrator observed the topic was discussed before and implemented and failed!

I think that is just stupid! One thousand times is at least the number of FAILED attempts before the light bulb was invented, isn't?

It was also argued that because it was unlikely that such ranking system were implemented the thread should be closed...I still do not see the logic of this argument. Since when, canonical commits to implement whatever a thread concludes? what is wrong with thinking about it, and maybe, coming with a better implementation that possible could be taken by future distros.

Open source is not about software, it is about free communication of ideas. That a group of people, that as large as it might be *does not represent the whole community*, closes a thread because they think is not fruitful, is beyond *embarrasing* to an open source-driven forum.

This complain is not about my thread in particular, it is about how this administrator thought he/she was doing the right thing by closing the thread...that is inadmissible in this forums...

Threads have a *natural way of closing themselves out* by people *choosing* not to write on them.

Ubuntu forum's administrators: you dissapointed me today!
    Philosophy doesn't get the work done...the success of Linux Community resides on its ability to listen to the people's demands and transform them into software faster/better than the alternatives

Beans

Re: closed threads because "it was tried and failed before"

A link to the thread in question would be useful
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is the thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...93#post3196693

But I would kindly suggest to see this beyond the specific thread is was about but to, in the future, think twice before closing a thread because "we discussed before"...rather, append both threads but not pretend everything that could be said has been said....
    Philosophy doesn't get the work done...the success of Linux Community resides on its ability to listen to the people's demands and transform them into software faster/better than the alternatives

Beans

The proposal in question had been answered on more than one occasions. In this instant Forum Management had made a decision and pointless circular debates would gain nothing.

Sometimes it is just time to move on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    In this instant Forum Management had made a decision and pointless circular debates would gain nothing.
    Sometimes it is just time to move on.
    Are you serious? Consider the following statement:

"Oh, mighty administrators, please post a list of pre-approved debates we, insignificant forum users, can talk about...after all, only *you* know what the future prepares for us and of course, old debates already included ALL points of view and insight..."

do you see my point?

what is the cost of letting the thread run, and when the *community* keeps writing on it, then and only then, the debate can be judged over...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sorry, I meant "when the *community* stops writing on it.."

I just got too upset.....please, help me understand how is that only the previous debates matter and not the new ones? is that the message you want to send to all new users of ubuntu...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdrodrig View Post
    Sorry, I meant "when the *community* stops writing on it.."

I just got too upset.....please, help me understand how is that only the previous debates matter and not the new ones? is that the message you want to send to all new users of ubuntu...

Please read post number 4 again.

I said in "this instant"

No mention was made of all threads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, now we are getting somewhere...

So *your* (read KiwiNZ or Forum Council Members) claim is that ranking members performance or providing publicly such metric is useless and because it was tried before, it should never be addressed again?

now that I re-read your first post, I take offense in your "pointless"...do you have a metric of what pointless is? pointless for who? you? the community?

So I take it, the administrators have never been wrong about anything before...is that what you mean?

I insist, let the people talk about any issue, "append/merge threads" if you wish and then people can *choose* not to talk about it or to correct previous mistakes...

I do not see how you can claim to be a forum about open source and being so "closed source" about what constitute fruitful debate or not...specially when you leave room for threads like "Word association", "What music are you listening to now..."....don't get me started in the pointlessness of such threads

I look forward to hearing from you or any other admin, after all, I learn the most from people I disagree with..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just to be clear when I wrote "don't get me started in the pointlessness of such threads" I was being ironic...

I hope somebody reacts to such claim and yell! it is useful for me to know what music others are listetingn to....that is *my point exactly*, usefulness is a community concept not something a particular -small- group can decide...

Beans

Surely in the spirit of the open source community there is no place for a hierarchical ranking system.
    But that is beside the point here . This is about the Forum Management making a decision and if we have the right to do so . The answer is yes we do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast