Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Faster internet peformance. Linux or MS?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Faster internet peformance. Linux or MS?

I noticed no difference at all between platforms, only between applications. I've yet to find anything that maxes out my connection, with well seeded torrents the connected clients get maxed out well before my connection does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I can't tell the difference myself, but when I got my brother to use Ubuntu, he said that he thought it was way faster
    Patchouli doesn't stink, hippies do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On my computers, there is no difference in Internet download speed between Windows Vista, XP and Ubuntu 7.10. My Internet connection is 6 Mbit/s (download), so the max. theoretical download speed is 768 KB/s. When downloading large files, I get up to around 700 KB/s in practice on both Windows and Ubuntu.

I think it is meaningless to answer the question "Faster internet peformance. Linux or MS?" in general. The differences are most likely much more determined by the hardware (network card or modem) and drivers that you use. One particular card might have good Windows drivers and crappy Linux drivers, or the other way around. You can't say in general that for any kind of hardware either OS has faster Internet performance than the other.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

I have noticed no real difference except for when initializing my network connection, in that case Linux is a bit faster than Vista - I think.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345