Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can GIMP save files as .pdf or .ai?

Beans

Re: Can GIMP save files as .pdf or .ai?

You won't see any real advantage in exporting files from the gimp as the gimp doesn't store a lot of information as vectors except perhaps the text and paths.

The file format that will let you share the most possible information between Gimp and AI is to save from gimp as a Photoshop PSD file.

If you want a more vector friendly result. I suggest using Inkscape along side the gimp. You can drag and drop layers straight from the gimp into inkscape. and I believe that illustrator can import svg (this will probably get the most information between the two programs, otherwise try some of the other options).

Beans

I have been trying the print method, but when I press print nothing happens.
    I'm clearly missing a step.
    Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

No, it cant. GIMP is mostly RASTER editor. AI is expressely VECTOR.
    If you want vector, use Inkscape - it's very powerful. If you want PDF, use Open Office - it saves as PDF quite ably. I think I saw Inkscape export to AI, actually, and AI opens Inkscapes's SVG format.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by omarkutty View Post
    I have been trying the print method, but when I press print nothing happens.
    I'm clearly missing a step.
    Can anyone help?
    Check out your home folder, if it has a PDF folder in there, look into it.
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The challenge with the GIMP's export-to-PDF function is, you CAN'T select or highlight text. I created a simple brochure for a company, but when I viewed it, I can't select any text or the company's contact info because they're all pixel. Anyone has a better solution? Thanks.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi! Does anyone know how to make a GIMP .xcf file to PDF?

The PDF should be able to highlight and select text as well.

Please help!

PS I'm aware of the export-to-pdf function, but that method wouldn't allow you to select / highlight text inside the file.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro

I'd also like to know if you can export each layer as a page in a PDF file. I imported a PDF file into GIMP so I could edit it, unfortunately after all of the work, I didn't know I couldn't save it back as a PDF..bummer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

GIMP is a image modification software not a layout program, this exact thing happens all the time in photoshop, photoshop wasn't designed to do that neither GIMP, the correct software is indesing or scribus, for vector work use Inkscape, i don't know why people get so stubborn to try get all the work in one single program, not even Corel who is the program who tries to get all the work (this one was intended to be this way) in a single program is able to do that, if you want a pdf or edit one use scribus maybe inkscape, use gimp to correct or manipulate images, remember the right tool for the right job
    Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you won't get anything

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by punong_bisyonaryo View Post
    I'd also like to know if you can export each layer as a page in a PDF file. I imported a PDF file into GIMP so I could edit it, unfortunately after all of the work, I didn't know I couldn't save it back as a PDF..bummer!
    Only recent development version of GIMP can save PDF and it still won't save pages (yet). Just export layers to images (google for "sg-save-all-layers.scm" — a script that automates that) and use something like gscan2pdf to create PDF from images.
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    Only recent development version of GIMP can save PDF and it still won't save pages (yet). Just export layers to images (google for "sg-save-all-layers.scm" — a script that automates that) and use something like gscan2pdf to create PDF from images.
    Thanks a lot! This is just what I needed to make things easier (I was about to save each layer one by one when you posted this)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast