Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO - Installing TRENDnet tew-421pc PCMCIA card

Beans

HOWTO - Installing TRENDnet tew-421pc PCMCIA card

Ok... here we go.
    This is very easy.
    1. First, you need the driver for the card. Go here and download the zip file. You need find out if your card is a B1 or A. Mine is a B1.

Download driver file, unzip to desired location. Inside the new folder, you will have "Drivers" and "Utility" folders. In the drivers folder, you will have all the Winders OSs.

2. Install ndiswrapper and the gui if you want to.
    Code:
    apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils ndisgtk
    3. With that installed we now need to install the driver. I used the Windows 2000 driver.
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i /path/to/drivers/Windows\ 2000/Mrv8000c.INF
    The GUI install still does not work, however it is nice to view the installed driver.
    Now check to see it is installed.
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    You sould see something like...
    Code:
    Installed ndis drivers:
    mrv8000c                driver present, hardware present
    4. Ok, all is well. You have installed the drivers, now we need to setup the device.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    Add this below the
    # The primary network interface
    Code:
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    Save and close file.

5. Go to System --> Administration --> Networking
    Go into the properties of you new wireless device and properly configure it for you wireless network, adding the ESSID and whatever else. Click OK.

6. Activate the device. You should still have the Network Settings box up. Highlight the Wireless Conection and click the button "Activate". Click OK.

7. You should be good to go now. I restarted my networking again after unplugging the wired connection just to make sure everything was nice and clean.
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    You may not have to...

Now change your nice little networking icon, usually beside your clock, to wlan0 and you will see the signal bar graph.
    BAM! Done. Enjoy you new wireless card.
    ==================================
    UPDATE:
    As indicated in other posts on this one, be sure to install ndiswrapper1.8 as this will solve several issues. Be sure to read the other posts on this subject. They are most helpful.
    Last edited by jaa1180; April 11th, 2007 at 07:40 PM.
    Jeff A.

Beans

Re: HOWTO - Installing TRENDnet tew-421pc PCMCIA card

I still have a problem. The /etc/network/interfaces has no such section, just a "loopback" interface. I don't know whether to add this to the end or what. Any suggestions?

edit: Nevermind. Works anyway.
    Last edited by skale; July 13th, 2006 at 01:12 AM.

Beans

What is in the file?
    Add in:
    Code:
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    below # The primary network interface

Have you done that yet?
    Last edited by jaa1180; July 13th, 2006 at 01:42 AM.
    Jeff A.

Beans

Add in:

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

that line is already on the file under wlan0. but the card doesn't appear on networking

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks again man! Awesome, well laid-out walkthrough. One problem though I am having is, I don't have an internet connection to start on. Believe it or not I have no Ethernet ports and only the TEW-421PC to rely on for connection. Any suggestions there. Thanks!

EDIT:

OK I did find an answer here, for installing the ndiswrapper without an internet connection... but under the network admin pannel it's only showing a ppp0 modem. (which I know I don't have) So the break down is...

Steps #1 - 3 are prefect. Everything seems good.

Step #4: The problem here is the line
    That did not exist in "/etc/network/interfaces" the header information was there so I just added that line. I figure it'd be fine anyways because it's just a comment.

Then I added the line
    Code:
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    on line 5 of the file.

then after that, existed
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    So the entire file reads (after modifications
    Code:
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5)

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    And when I go to the Network Admin pannel. The wireless device is not there. The only thing is the modem device I know I don't have. Sooo... I am completely lost. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Further Trouble shooting:
    - I tried to remove the lines (other than the commented lines) and only have the one pertaining to the wireless devices and it didn't work.
    - I tried what was mentioned in step 7 of the howto and it still didn't work
    - I tried to even close all the applications and restart (you can tell I'm migrating from windows still) and still no resolve.

So, please, I'm using this for school and I'd like to have a laptop that I could use a little bit more. (hopefully get open office running on the thing soon too). Well I'll be out for now. Send in posts if anyone has an idea what is going on.

Peace,
    Last edited by TrueJk7; September 16th, 2006 at 08:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The Newbie found the answer!

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu_da...Ndiswrapper.29 had some awesome supplimental information for my situation. All done through terminal. And all worked!

Now I'm gonna enjoy my awesome distro of linux!

Peace,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question Re: HOWTO - Installing TRENDnet tew-421pc PCMCIA card

everything has gone well so far but I'm now getting this.
    Installed ndis drivers:
    2000 mrv8000 invalid driver!

I've tried the drivers that came with the card and even the downloaded one and still getting the same issue, any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey guys.

well, i am in about the same spot as the rest of you. Everything installed fine. It says the driver is present and installed.

It even shows up via ndisgtk. So i know its setup. But now the only thing is actually have it show up in NETWORKING and be able to be configured. I have an unsecured network, so there shouldn't be any conflicts.

Also, for the file etc/network/interfaces, what should the full file look like? Can anyone post their working configuration?

HELP! Im a noob to linux.

thanks guys.

EDIT:
    So, I figured out how to get the card working. I followed these steps.

**Install ndiswrapper and drivers

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils
    sudo ndiswrapper -i /location_of_your_wireless_driver/your_driver.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -l
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

** Set ndiswrapper to load on startup

sudo ndiswrapper -m
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules

** Add the following module to the list

ndiswrapper

Ok, all is well. You have installed the drivers, now we need to setup the device.

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

>>>>> This was where a lot of people, including me, ran into some confusion. THe original file just had a bunch of auto eth0 and iface eth0, blah blah.

Add these lines at the VERY BEGINNING of the file

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

>>>>>On a side note: I am using my laptop, which ONLY has wireless, so I edited my inteface file to only include the previous two lines. If you have a eth0, then you should be able put that line under these two and still be ok.. You experts out there, can you validate this?
    Save and close file.

THEN RESTART. I don't care what anyone says, just restart that damn thing. Ubuntu loads like 30 sec anyway, so your not really wasting time.
    Last edited by magiceraser06; November 23rd, 2006 at 02:32 AM. Reason: OK, so after fixing the /etc/network/interfaces file, everything works now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

HOWTO - Installing TRENDnet tew-421pc PCMCIA card on dell c600

and a bit more is where i am! i have read and reread the advise here and i must admit that i'm not as clever as i thought

when i try to " sudo ndiswrapper -i mydriver" i get that it cannot be copied
    "at /user/sbin/ndiswrapper line 135"

please point me in the right direction!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hold the presses i downloaded the manufacturer's drivers and tried again and it worked!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast